Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun for jr shooter

naim

My 9 year old nephew is dying to try 3 gun. I got him squared away with a pistol and rifle but my open shotguns are a bit much for him. I want to get some input on what other jrs his age are using.

Getting the LOP short enough to properly fit would be my biggest concern.

I don't think you can get below 13" and change with the Versa can you Mark?

Stoeger has a nifty 3020 Twenty gauge that is the smaller cousin to the popular M3000.

Shorter from the factory, light weight and runs 20 gauge loads. OH and can be made way short and the stocks

are inexpensive so you can replace it as he grows.

My 12 year old son just upgraded from a Mossberg sa-20 20ga to a Stoeger M3000 24" a few months ago. With good form a 12ga is not too much and as Patrick said the stocks are cheap to replace as he grows. You can easily take as much as you want off the Stoeger design, as the stock bolt is only about 5 inches long.

There is also the 20ga Remington 11-87 Youth models. These come with 21" barrel and short stocks that can be lengthened with spacers. An EZ loader can be trimmer to fit these.

I wish Remington would make the Versa in the Youth configuration in 20ga...

A 21" Beretta 1301 might also be worth looking at...

Mick

Edited by MickB

Pat, yes I can get a VersaMax down under 13" LOP. :)

The 12 is the way to go for sure. There are low recoil loads (also advantage VersaMax) that are softer than any 20 gauge loads.

I am going to have him try the M3000 once I get the one we have slicked up, and yes, the stocks are cheaper and you can get a much shorter LOP than on any other auto-loader.