Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x23 Winchester

shabodah

I've been using 9x23mm SuperComp brass in my 38 Super Witness (Tanfoglio), but I haven't noticed any real advantage over using actual 38 Super brass. I wouldn't bother with it unless you plan on using it in an unsupported 1911 barrel. The brass is more expensive and you can get 38 SuperComp for less, if price isn't an issue 38 TJ is about the same.

I've been using 9x23mm SuperComp brass in my 38 Super Witness (Tanfoglio), but I haven't noticed any real advantage over using actual 38 Super brass. I wouldn't bother with it unless you plan on using it in an unsupported 1911 barrel. The brass is more expensive and you can get 38 SuperComp for less, if price isn't an issue 38 TJ is about the same.

Thanks for the insight. I was hoping to be able to switch between 38 supercomp and 9x23mm winchester with as little alteration as possible. Can you tell me more about 38 tj?

I recommend that you DO NOT use Starline 9X23 brass in an unsupported chamber. Its case walls are thinner and not as strong as the original Winchester 9X23 brass. The Starline version will not hold up to 9X23-like pressures in an unsupported barrel and there is a high risk of case failure (blowout). See this article for evidence: http://www.shootingtimes.com/2014/06/10/cartridge-review-9x23-winchester/

TJ brass is a rimless version of the 38 Super. For more information on 38 Super brass see this link: http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

• 11 months later...

I just picked up one of the full size steel 45/22 combo kits. I want to add a 9mm Para upper and also set it up for 9x23.
Does the 9mm Para upper work with the 9x23 round? Thinking of the ejection port is it big enough for the 9x23 rounds?
How strong should the recoil spring be for 9x23 rounds?

I would also like to have a 9mm barrel threaded for a suppresssor. Do any companies make a drop in extended threaded barrel for Witness pistols?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to have a 9mm barrel threaded for a suppresssor. Do any companies make a drop in extended threaded barrel for Witness pistols?

If you can't find a longer threaded barrel, try a threaded barrel extension.

DSC_0720.jpg

Edited by USAFA82