Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lubricate cases for neck-sizing only?

jaredr

a while back i loaded up a 1,000 rounds of .308 for my bolt rifle using factory new brass and now getting near the end of my loaded ammo. Have segregated all my brass from this gun, will be neck-sizing only. I can find out the hard way but figured i'd ask first - for resizing the neck only:

1) do you still need to lubricate the cartridge, andnd if so,

2) can you get by with hornady one-shot or do you need to use a lanolin type lube (which requires cleaning all the brass again before loading?

thanks

I lube the whole case even for neck sizing. I got a case stuck in a new die once, it was a bitch getting it out and i bent the expander-decapping unit. RCBS sent me a new one free.

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 weeks later...

I use the imperial sizing wax for neck sizing. I just touch the tip of my index finger to the wax, roll it between finger and thumb to distribute and then roll the neck of the case between finger and thumb. I only lube every third case or so. The wax tends to stay on the die.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the powdered mica as well. Super easy and no cleanup, just plunge the mouth of the shell in the media up to the shoulder, then put it on the press. REally only viable for a single stage since a progressive with case feeder might vibrate the graphite off before it gets to the die.