Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 Fiber Optic width ?

oteroman

I just got this 929 today.

I am wanting to get a fiber optic front from Toolguy, then I am sending it to Apex for action/chamfering cylinder/hammer/firing pin for Federal primers.

I plan on starting with Bayou 135's and then possibly 160's

The stock sight width is 125 and seems the right width for a non fiber (stock sight).

I am unsure what width FO to get. I hear most like the .100 width

Any advise on sight width?

(this is going to be my first production revolver for competition)

Now I need to figure out how to seat my Federal primers deeper than flush on a Hornady LNL AP.

Unless you've done something funky with the primer seater, you just need to seat until you feel the primer bottom out. You may need to use a bit more effort or make sure your primer pockets are clean, but that should be it. With no primer in the press, but a piece of brass in the primer seating station and bottom it out as if seating a primer and while holding it down try to remove the case. You'll see that the primer seater goes WELL below flush; enough to catch the case and nearly bottom in the primer pocket. If you're used to CCI primers you'll find the Feds seat much easier.

I load for a 627 & 929 with very light triggers on an LNL AP and I approve this message.

I don't have my sight installed on my 929 yet but I really like the .100 width front sights I ran one on my 627 for a while now and I like having the wider light bars. The reason why is because it is easier for me to see if the front sight is not centered compared to having a .125 sights. If you like the .125 width as is though just stick with that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Warren,

I have my fiber optic front sight, looks good, fits great, I have a question about the front to rear ramping. Am I correct in installing the the taller end rearward? Or rear sight height dependent (929 rear is adjustable)?

Edited by rchaas

The tall side is the side you look at. They taper down to the front so you will never see the top of the sight. This way you get an absolute clear definition on the top edge. It's harder to make it tapered than straight, but I believe it gives a better quality sight picture by doing that.