Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soft Felt Recoil

sniper3

I want to reload some veeery soft felt recoil loads for 9mm and 38 sup. I'm shooting a Caspian hybrid 38 super with a 6 lb recoil spring , and a Witness small frame 9mm with a 6 lb spring also. Both guns have comp's. I've read alot of threads on soft felt recoil and I'm looking for some suggestions. I have 6-12 lbs springs for each gun , 115, 147 gr extreme bullets and ordered 160 gr. I'm using Federal match small primers and have plenty of Titegroup. Any suggestions welcome.

Edited by sniper3

Titegroup and heavy bullets are nice and soft at minor power factor, but TG is way too fast to use for major in either one of those calibers.

Gas volume is the name of the game with a compensator so you want to use the biggest powder charge of the slowest powder you can burn in the length of your barrel.

I use powders like Autocomp, HS6, SP2, etc. with 115gr bullets which feed lots of gas to the comp. That being said, it's hard to describe 115s at 1,500fps as "soft" so you can give up some flatness for softness by using heavier bullets. I've made major with 124s and 135s, but with SLOW powder.

Save the Titegroup and 147/160s for the Production gun.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I want soft loads for 9mm with a 6 lb spring & comp. 115, 147 & 160 gr. & TG powder

Sniper, you don't mention what PF you're looking for.

That's critical to answering your question.

1. If you're looking for a Very Soft load with no PF restrictions, then you want

a VERY light bullet and very light powder charge.

2. If you're looking for a Minor 9mm load (PF 130), then you want a very heavy

bullet with fast powder.

3. If you're looking for a Major 9mm load (PF 170), then you want a very light

bullet with slower powder. :cheers:

My steel challenge load is 3.4gr titegroup under a 100gr Ibejiheads SWC at 1.04OAL. It functions fine in my 5.25 XDM with a reduced power 14lb spring and reduced power striker spring(PRP trigger). Even locks the slide back on last round. It has almost no felt recoil.

I just finished up my 9mm tip end for my STI and it is pretty soft with the same load I made up for the wife's XDm. 2.9gr of n320 with a 147 Bayou loaded to 1.140". No idea what kind of velocity it's running, but it's really mellow recoil.