Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shopping for 5" 9mm M&P

Bergeron

Greetings folks,

I'm getting back into the centerfire pistol game after an absence of several years. I recently picked up a Colt Delta Elite as a project gun, and would like to get a 5" non-C.O.RE. M&P with the thumb safeties as my 9mm high capacity blaster. I had a very positive experience with a 4.5" .45 M&P; I believe that the 5" 9mm will be tons of fun.

I would like to get one of the newest iterations/implementations of the 5" 9mm. I know that there have been several "generations" of the gun, and I'd like to be as up to date as possible. I am aware that there's been the 9L and 5" 9 Pro. I was happy with the trigger experience of the .45 M&P that I shot back in 2011, so as long as the trigger would be up that standard, I would be happy.

I'm agnostic as to frame color, and I'm also happy to consider used guns. If I went the used gun route, I would prefer a used gun have less than 5k rounds or ideally less than 1k, while still be interested in new or like-new guns. I would like to know how to read the generation markings, such that exist, so I know I'm getting the most recent one.

The 5" 9mm thumb safety variant appears to be less common than some of the others. There's a local shop that I could order one from, but prices look to be in the $800+ range for that model and they don't currently have it in stock. That's fine, and that's not out of my budget, but my understanding is that I could probably get a better price by shopping around. I recently got a work award for approx. $650, and I would be amused if I could have work "pay" for the pistol with the award. Not a necessary thing, though. It's fun to buy guns at gun shows, but I'm feeling the "gotta haves" and would prefer to not wait for a gun show and still risk the possibility that I wouldn't find one.

I'm hoping that some of the membership with experience shopping for the M&P might have some guidance on possible paths. I'm in Houston, TX if anyone has info that specific. I'm happy to pay shipping FFL transfer fees and buy from pawn shops/gun stores/ranges/private sellers and the auction sites.

I'm really looking forward to the aftermarket support.

Also, in my limited research(the last 5 minutes), the pro is not available with thumb safety unless something has recently changed. I also believe, unless something has changed in the last few months, the L is discontinued quite awhile ago.

I would just buy a new Pro without safety from Bud's. Around 580 delivered.

Actually let me correct myself. I would by a Glock 34 or XDM545 for about the same price as you can get an M&P for. But that's just me. :)

Edited by Sarge

Good advice here.

S&W doesn't make a 5" M&P Pro with a thumb safety, although, I am pretty sure you can get a 4.25" version with the thumb safety.

$800 is way too much to be paying. The Pro or the Pro Core pistols are readily available for less than $600.

Honestly, with what you'll want to do to the pistol and the parts that you'll want to get to do that, you'd be better off going with the normal 5" long. The only real differences between the Pro series and the regular 5" (as far as internally) are that the Pro comes with performance center parts AKA they change out the sear, the plunger spring, and so entires they change out the trigger spring for one a couple pounds lighter. Externally, the Pro series comes with fiber optic sights and a blacked out rear while the regular model comes with either tritium night sights or just regular white dot sights. Oh, the Pro also has "Pro Series" engraved in the slide... So there's that...

But if you're at all interested in changing up the trigger, you could get the apex forward set sear and trigger kit and all of that would be replace anyways (and for not much more than you'd pay for the Pro series and you'd have a better feeling trigger!).

You can also build one yourself. Swap the slide from a 5" onto another M&P frame with the thumb safety and live with the ridiculous looking frame gap or swap out the frame parts from the thumb safety model onto the full length frame.

Requires you to get two guns, but when brand new M&Ps are only $350 and used ones are even less, and you can still sell the other complete gun afterwards, you're set.

Edited by KSwift

Requires you to get two guns, but when brand new M&Ps are only $350 and used ones are even less, and you can still sell the other complete gun afterwards, you're set.

Can you post a link for where you can buy a brand new M&P for $350?

The OP is looking for 5" pro though. Quantico Tactical are great folks to deal with though. That's where I bought my 9mm pro.

No he's not. He specifically said he's looking for a 5" with thumb safety. If he was just looking for a 5" pro he would order one and be done. That's why I suggested he get a cheap donor gun for 350 or less just to salvage the thumb safety off it.

QT does run about as competitive as it gets price wise though, at least on S&W's, my favorite local store.