Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder continues to drop after case is loaded with powder

I am hating my 650 more every time I use it. My old 550 never had any issues.

Can someone please tell me if Dillon has a fix for the 650 when you drop powder in the case, lower the case from the powder die and powder continues to drop all over the shell plate. I was loading .308 today with 48gns BLC-2 with the large powder bar. Powder only fills the case up to the neck with the correct amount The powder bar slides all the way forward and back as it should. Never had this issue on my old reliable 550!

Edited by sig2009

If you are loading rifle rounds for the first time then the problem is you are moving the handle too fast. A rifle case takes longer to fill up then a pistol round so try pausing a second when as the powder drops and see if that helps....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good suggestions above, and I'll add....Remove the powder funnel. Clean it throughly, especially on the inside. If you are over lubing your cases, case lube will build up inside the powder funnel, and can cause a grain or two to stick, causing a flow problem.

Guys. I have been reloading with a 550 for 15 years. I am well aware of their customer service. I just replaced it with a 650. Yes I am reloading .308 rounds. Probably have reloaded 5,000 rounds. And No I am not moving the handle too fast. Powder measure in in the correct way. Double checked today. No powder residue in powder die. Cases lubed doesn't matter. It shouldn't. Had no issues on the 550 like this.

Possibly static, I keep a dryer sheet wrapped around my powder hopper, and hit it with anti-static spray once ina while...

jj

Ps:just an observation, your last post "sounds" kinda huffy. Posters are just trying to help, by reading you OP there was no indication that you had been loading for 15 years...:)

Guys. I have been reloading with a 550 for 15 years. I am well aware of their customer service. I just replaced it with a 650. Yes I am reloading .308 rounds. Probably have reloaded 5,000 rounds. And No I am not moving the handle too fast. Powder measure in in the correct way. Double checked today. No powder residue in powder die. Cases lubed doesn't matter. It shouldn't. Had no issues on the 550 like this.

If case lube gets inside the mouth of the case, powder will stick to it, but after 15 yrs you already know this.

If case lube gets inside the mouth of the case, powder will stick to it, but after 15 yrs you already know this.

boom.... this