Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting my first USPSA match next weekend

wamcei

Hi I am shooting my first match next weekend and am wondering what division would y'all suggest I start in? Was told production by a few and Limited by many more. I am using my Glock 19 (yes I know it isn't ideal) but it is all i got besides a Witness P-S. Was told limited because of fewer reloads. Please help and thank you very much :)

If you only have 2 or 3 magazines, limited. If you have 5 or 6, go ahead and shoot production. Don't worry about score. Concentrate on safety. Ask as many questions as you need. Have fun, enjoy

normally Limited is a good place to start, but with the 19, unless you have some G17 mags to use with it, just doesn't hold enough rounds to make it even remotely competitive. I would recommend Production with a stock 19 and mags. You will need about 5 mags though to play in Production.

I have 7 mags so that should be good right but all i hav on my belt is for 4 places:( guess i can put a few in my pockets. I have watched 3 local matches now and it seems they rarely go over 30 rounds on a stage. oh btw my mags are all 19's

I have 7 mags so that should be good right but all i hav on my belt is for 4 places:( guess i can put a few in my pockets. I have watched 3 local matches now and it seems they rarely go over 30 rounds on a stage. oh btw my mags are all 19's

4 on the belt is good. Put your start mag in your back pocket and you will be set.

4 on the belt is good. Put your start mag in your back pocket and you will be set.

thank you sir!

As a relatively new shooter, I was happy I shot a few matches as limited minor before going to production. It w as s easier to get into the "flow". Even with only 15 rounds, it will be much less complicated so you can focus on safety and shooting.

I started shooting USPSA 20+ years ago, with a SS .45 with 8 round mags, and/or a P35 with 13 round mags.

in Limited minor.

I enjoyed shooting each - no big difference.

Learning the reload is part of the game.

Up to YOU - your preference.

For your first match, the ONLY thing that matters is SAFETY.

Don't worry about anything else except accuracy.

Don't try to emulate the speed of the experienced, or you'll get

into a LOT of Trouble.

Stay safe. :cheers:

Just be prepared to be hooked! Like Sarge said, 4 on the belt should get you through most any stage. Maybe throw 2 in the back pocket, use one as your start mag and the other as a 6th on a stage with lots of steel. Remember to start with 11. I too started in SS with 8 rnds and the general rule of thumb was to reload any time I moved. Production is close. Stay safe and have a blast!

With only 4 mag pouches I would go Limited. Correct me if I am wrong here but all ammo during a normal course of fire must come from the belt not a pocket. The make ready mag can be from a pocket but all ammo after the start is off the belt.

With only 4 mag pouches I would go Limited. Correct me if I am wrong here but all ammo during a normal course of fire must come from the belt not a pocket. The make ready mag can be from a pocket but all ammo after the start is off the belt.

Ok I will correct you. Unless the WSB states otherwise you can carry ammo in pockets as long as pockets meet division requirements. :)

Just be prepared to be hooked! Like Sarge said, 4 on the belt should get you through most any stage. Maybe throw 2 in the back pocket, use one as your start mag and the other as a 6th on a stage with lots of steel. Remember to start with 11. I too started in SS with 8 rnds and the general rule of thumb was to reload any time I moved. Production is close. Stay safe and have a blast!

I am already hooked! I volunteered at a few matches and watched several others. The last match I volunteered at was a level 2 and that was a ton of fun and I learned so much from watching those guys!

Made my decision to stay with limited for now since my 19 is already set up that way. Didn't realize it but I have a mag well and several other mods done to it. I was reading up and found that they make a 34 slide that fits the 19 frame. Maybe in the future I will go that route if I decide to stay in limited. Here around where I live we have things called "gun bashes" and it is a way to win guns through a lottery process and just won an EAA Witness but just don't have the funds to get magazines for it yet. Maybe next season I will have at least 6 mags for that pistol also and move to production. Also, inherited a well worn out 1911 and was thinking of making that (with a major overhaul) into a production gun and move the witness to an open. See already hooked lol.

But, is shooting limited minor a bad thing? I understand the points and all and for my first several matches I am going to go slow and be safe and try for all A hits. So shooting minor won't matter correct?? Again thanks a ton for all the info and help

Thanks Sarge!

Shooting Limited Minor is not bad as long as you shoot fast A's. lol. I started in Limited minor last year and for a new shooter I think it is a good place to start. Ammo is cheaper so you can practice more. Sure you will give up points to those shooting major but as a new shooter you need to learn the game, be safe, and shoot accurately. The speed will come.

Also, inherited a well worn out 1911 and was thinking of making that (with a major overhaul) into a production gun and move the witness to an open. See already hooked lol.

But, is shooting limited minor a bad thing? I understand the points and all and for my first several matches I am going to go slow and be safe and try for all A hits. So shooting minor won't matter correct?? Again thanks a ton for all the info and help

The 1911 can only be used in, SS, limited, limited 10, and open, but most commonly used in single stack and limited 10. Can't have a single action only gun in production. So leave witness as your production gun.

As for limited minor, it's not necessarily a bad thing. The usual trade off is that you get more rounds, but you won't have that because you have the 15 round mags. Don't worry about score, just worried about safety. that needs to be priority number one

Well today I went to a local club and they hold weekly practice runs. I did really well I think. My first run out of 38 shots I had 5 Charlie's 1 mike and 32 alphas with a time of 38.47. I think I did pretty good! It would have been better if I wasn't doing slide lock reloads. Also, these were stages they left up from their last match.

The next one I really stunk up the joint! My time was horrid well over a minute on just 28 shots lost my fiber optic :( so aim was a bit off. But had all alphas with 1 Charlie. The guy running that club said that for never shooting like this before I did great! Also, said I never came to being dq'd or anything like that!

One question I had but forgot to ask. If you are shooting open and you have say 6 shots before you have to move should I reload after the 6 rounds or wait til I hit like 8 or 9 and reload at my next stop?

should I reload after 6 rounds or wait til 8 or 9 and reload at my next stop?

If you have 20 rounds in the gun, a big advantage is that you can make only ONE RELOAD

in total - fire 14 - 18 shots, and then reload, once.

BTW, as you improve, you'll find that you have no "stops" - you

keep moving and shoot on the move.

p.s. sounds like you had a great time, and shot well :cheers:

should I reload after 6 rounds or wait til 8 or 9 and reload at my next stop?

If you have 20 rounds in the gun, a big advantage is that you can make only ONE RELOAD

in total - fire 14 - 18 shots, and then reload, once.

BTW, as you improve, you'll find that you have no "stops" - you

keep moving and shoot on the move.

p.s. sounds like you had a great time, and shot well :cheers:

I had a blast! Can't wait for next weekend!

Whenever possible reload on the move. A standing reload costs too much time. Plan your stage so you know where each reload will take place. Every stage is different. You may reload after 6-8 if you have a stretch between targets that requires movement to the next array. I am still learning. I look at the total round count for the stage. If I can't safely stretch my mag capacity from start to finish I know I will be making a reload. Once I know I have a reload to make I figure out the best time to make that reload. Typically it is on the portion of the stage that requires the most movement between targets.

I was in your shoes about a year ago. I started with two mag pouches and the rest stuffed in my pockets.

Start dry firing and you will start to learn a lot about grip and how hard you can slap on the trigger without disturbing sight picture.

You'll figure out pretty quick that if you want to score better, that you need to be fast, and start working around the edges of your comfort zone.

At least that's what I've been working on lately.

I'm pretty new at this myself, I'm working on more efficient reloading at the moment. I've found this video presented by Travis Tomasie from the US Army team to be helpful, If a little cheesy in the delivery,

Stay home! This is a very addictive sport that sucks big $$$ out of your pocket, requires infinite amounts of practice to get gooder, but is more fun than the laws of nature allow!

Red Ryder I am from close by Pittsburgh also! I live in Latrobe. Were you @ the Tri-State by chance

Stay home! This is a very addictive sport that sucks big $$$ out of your pocket, requires infinite amounts of practice to get gooder, but is more fun than the laws of nature allow!

Red Ryder I am from close by Pittsburgh also! I live in Latrobe. Were you @ the Tri-State by chance
Irwin area. I was signed up to shoot and work the Tri State match but I had some last minute obligations. I just got home from the Nationals and work piled up. Edited by Red Ryder

The next match is at Clairton!

Yes I can't make that one so my first is going to be East Huntington. Can't wait! Been practicing like crazy well dry practice that is darn finances keeping me from buying more lol. On the bright side learned how to reload this past weekend thanks to a guy named Roger and he helped me reload enough for the match. Been looking everywhere for a good cheap one but non of my friends have one unfortunately. Will have to save up a few months over our winter break and find some. Only I was give. Is one of those Lee classic loaders you know the ones you have to use a nylon hammer with :( but that isn't very accurate of a powder measure as I was told. But my load we worked up for production actually is the same as the dipper that came with it lol. Maybe sometime we could get together and shoot a bit!!!