Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911: Springfield RO, STI Spartan, STI Trojan?

SpookyPistolero

Thank much to everyone for the helpful comments. I've got a lot to consider still. It's probably a comforting fact that all these options have a fair level of support.

I think the CRP Trojans from Dawson are a pretty good way to go.

I only just became aware of this model. It seems like the price difference is pretty small to to get the magwell and mag release upgrade. I saw one in some classifieds with a few mags for 1200. I couldn't see that direct from Dawson included any mags, so seems like like a good deal.

Too many choices!

I don't work for Dawson or STI, so this isn't a plug. My team is also not currently sponsored by either. That being said, I am pretty sure the CRP Trojans come with a toolless guide rod also.

Pretty good deal for an STI I think. Not sure if someone up North or other parts of the country offer something similar.

A few points to consider:

Springfield:

• The standard Springfield 9mm RO weighs about 41 ounces with their magazine, and the weight limit for Single-Stack Division is 43 ounces. Keep that in mind, because you will bump into the limit pretty easily if you start working on the gun, swapping parts in and out. I've got my RO at 42.7 ounces now....
  • The stock Springfield RO has their unusual proprietary safety lock embedded in the mainspring housing, with some non-1911 parts (mainspring cap and mainspring, if I recall correctly). I replaced all of that stuff with an EGW magwell/mainspring housing and other parts because I want to be able to tune the mainspring, and I wanted a magwell.
  • The Springfield trigger felt creepy, so I installed a Cylinder & Slide Tactical II trigger kit. The parts are all hardened, and after just a few hundred rounds of break-in it's pulling at about 3.5 pounds.
  • The Springfield rear sight is OK, but I've become accustomed to Dawson Fiber-Optic front sights, so that's what's on my RO.
  • I spent about $215 for the sight, trigger kit and mainspring housing parts and installed them myself. If you aren't a tinkerer, add in about the same amount for gunsmithing services.
  • Since I'm left-handed I needed an ambi safety, but I left that cost out of the total because I don't know if you need one as well. I also swapped around a few sets of grips until I found a lightweight set of wood grips that felt good.

STI Trojan:

• I had a .45ACP Trojan but sold it after I got a Sentry. The Trojan came with a good trigger.
  • My Trojan came with a fiber-optic front sight and ambi safety installed.
  • I **believe** that the Trojan has a flat-top slide, something I really liked. Pretty hard to retrofit.
  • The Trojan has stippling on the front strap that you might like.

Summary:

Before the cost of magazines (!), both guns cost me about $1,200, but the STI was ready to go out of the box. If you like to "roll your own", I'd probably get the Springfield. If you want to buy a finished competition gun, you'll get a lot closer with the STI.

Chris

Edited by cohland

Trojans do not come with ambi safeties or FO sights unless you order it that way. Flat topping the slide is not that big a deal. Accurate Plating and Weaponry will do it and refinish the slide reasonably. I thought the STIppling on the front of my Trojan was a complete waste of time as far as being an effective grip. I covered it with skateboard tape. The Trojan is a nice gun, but there are a lot of options out there now.

The weight of the Range Officer was definitely something I was looking at. 43 ounces is max for IDPA ESP as well. Might keep an eye out for a used Trojan to match my .40.

Just be sure to check the weight of the Trojan 9mm, not the .45. Because they (Springfield) use the same slide and bushing, the 9mm barrel is noticeably thicker, accounting for the weight increase for the 9mm versions. I am assuming that this is the case with STI as well.

Chris

Edited by cohland

Not worried about it as my .40 Trojan with a Dawson ICE magwell, extended mag release and button and VZ operator II grips is right at about 40-41 ounces. Don't think the 9mm will be much more set up similarly. Surely will be under 43 ounces.

Existential funk mode: is a 9mm 1911 even even worthwhile endeavor if the goal is to get a game gun? Don't really even care which game, haha, but I HAVE to get started. I have put it off over and over because I don't feel I have the skills to be competitive, but I never will if I don't start.

I want something cheap to feed and smooth to run, and want a 1911 platform because I feel I have better fundamentals with them.

I do already own a g34 and mp9 pro that I could also also run with I suppose, if the 9mm 1911 is something of a pipe dream.

Edited by SpookyPistolero

I think it is for IDPA ESP, which is what I am getting it for, or if you wanted to shoot USPSA SS minor or Limited 10 but I shoot major in both of those. I have just been getting back into the 2011/1911 platform and shooting them more and really like them so if I can get into a 9mm for around $800-1000 then I wouldn't mind getting one. No rush for me though.

The weight of the Range Officer was definitely something I was looking at. 43 ounces is max for IDPA ESP as well. Might keep an eye out for a used Trojan to match my .40.

Just be sure to check the weight of the Trojan 9mm, not the .45. Because they (Springfield) use the same slide and bushing, the 9mm barrel is noticeably thicker, accounting for the weight increase for the 9mm versions. I am assuming that this is the case with STI as well.

Chris

My 9mm Trojan with bushing does have the "standard" outside diameter barrel of 1911 spec so when 9mm is bored, the barrel walls are thicker and the barrel is the heaviest of all the calibers (least amount of metal bored out). Don't know exactly how much more weight that adds compared to .40 or .45, but it does add some. Edited by bountyhunter

Chris

My 9mm Trojan with bushing does have the "standard" outside diameter barrel of 1911 spec so when 9mm is bored, the barrel walls are thicker and the barrel is the heaviest of all the calibers (least amount of metal bored out). Don't know exactly how much more weight that adds compared to .40 or .45, but it does add some.

Could you weigh your Trojan 9mm with an empty mag in it and let us know what it weighs?

Chris

My 9mm Trojan with bushing does have the "standard" outside diameter barrel of 1911 spec so when 9mm is bored, the barrel walls are thicker and the barrel is the heaviest of all the calibers (least amount of metal bored out). Don't know exactly how much more weight that adds compared to .40 or .45, but it does add some.
Edited by cohland

I just weighed my kimber team match in 8mm: 41.6oz with an empty Tripp mag.

You used to be able to get used kimbers for $400-600 before the last panic... so there's that option.

Edit: just looked on arms list. A lot of used kimbers out there for just over $700.

Edited by jtaylor996

Chris

Here is a possibly useful data point: the Springfield 9mm Range Officer barrel, with link and pin installed, weighs 4.9 ounces.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Just for anyone interested, I picked up a lightly used Trojan 9mm for $725 off Gunbroker and added an aluminum flat Dawson ICE magwell and with an empty Dawson 10 round competition mag it comes in at 41.8 ounces. Should be able to fit a set of VZ grips and still make weight but will try the set on my .40 Trojan on and weigh first.