Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First competition reload with XDM 5.25 and FAIL

Floorplate

I put 19 rounds into the mags (9mm) and upon my first ever competition reload, the mag failed to seat and fell to the deck when I raised the firearm. Stunned! It happened again in another stage when I did not slam it home. Has anyone else experienced this? I seats fine with 18 rounds and that is what I did for the remainder of the match. Special thanks to the ultra cool officer on my shoulder who walked the new guy through it.

Everyone does. When you have the mag loaded to maximum capacity the top round has very little room to move down when it goes against the bottom of the slide and you have to make sure you have a very positive insert to move that top round down enough to latch it into place. Once you removed the top round you gave the ammo room to move down. I always make sure to slam it home if the mag is loaded to full capacity. A hard mag insertion is a good habit to get into even if you download.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Yup, that's common. The other 70% you're probably not slamming the mag in like you are the other 30%

Edited: I'm commenting on the ability of the slide to be released, not the failure to seat the magazine.

Edited by GreenDragon64

Everyone does. When you have the mag loaded to maximum capacity the top round has very little room to move down when it goes against the bottom of the slide and you have to make sure you have a very positive insert to move that top round down enough to latch it into place.

+1 That's it exactly.

I have some of the "10 round limit" magazines (because I live in california) and they are so tight with ten rounds loaded in that they can not be inserted into the gun at all with the slide forward.

last match I attended I was using my friend's pistol which was an awesome gun but really required me to slam my mags home compared to my normal 2011 (which was out of commission due to yours truly)

I completely ruined a classified stage due to not being hard enough on my mag seating, and also dropped a mag in another round and cost me a good bit of time.

For the classifier i didnt even need to have full mags (which I did have), so I really self inflicted that one...

Oh man I choked so bad on reloads for several rounds. Yeah I've ruin into mags not seating, then falling out. Worst was missing magwell all together! It was priceless. Nothing more embarrassing than having mag glance off the side of gun, go flying. That was 15 years ago, I can laugh about it now. I was way clumsy then. I still suck with moon clips in a revolver though. I don't even bother with them anymore...