Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib, double charge and the 550B?

Thats a great idea I am definitely getting a skylight. I have some LEDs on my LCT but just don't get enough light into the cases. Now I have yet to reload .223 but isn't much harder to see in those cases no matter what you do?

Even with the Skylight and the LED strip it's still pretty hard to see in a .223 case.

+1 very hard to see in the very narrow neck of a 223 case.

Thats a great idea I am definitely getting a skylight. I have some LEDs on my LCT but just don't get enough light into the cases. Now I have yet to reload .223 but isn't much harder to see in those cases no matter what you do?

Even with the Skylight and the LED strip it's still pretty hard to see in a .223 case.

For rifle cases, pause the handle at the bottom for a count of one-thousand-one. If there is powder in the measure, and it is not a stick powder, there will be the right amount of powder in the case.

[quote name="benos" post="2256831" timestamp="1412715730

For rifle cases, pause the handle at the bottom for a count of one-thousand-one. If there is powder in the measure, and it is not a stick powder, there will be the right amount of powder in the case.

Thank you very much that makes sense and is an excellent point. Hopefully I will be loading .223 in the next few months so that will be very helpful.

You need to position your self so you see in every case before placing the bullet. Good lighting is a must. A clamp light from Lowe's is positioned

on both my 650 and 550. Some one comes in to talk quit till they leave. Double check before starting back loading. Pushing the handle as seating a primer

is a good way to start back. Something doesn't feel right check. Had the white block come out of the powder measure loading 38 Special. I could see the powder

measure working but the drops were all over the place. Now I always look at that block when filling the primer tube.

Everyone who reloads has a problem now and again try to catch it before it gets to the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

Been reloading a year now. About 12-15k rounds. Never a squib or double charge. I make it a rule to give reloading my full attention. No TV, radio, or chair. Make myself stand and pay attention! When I get tired, I stop.

My only squib(s) were my very first rounds loaded on a new 550. I managed to catch all of them and haven't had any since. Paying careful attention to the operations is my theory, and so far, it works! I do use a small spotlight to verify powder drop, and catch "high" primers before they leave the priming station by being methodical (if it doesn't feel right, check it out)