Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom build wait time

Hope this is in the right forum, didn't think it belonged in the 1911, 2011 forum, so here goes. I have a good friend that has ordered a custom 2011 from a well known builder. I don't have a dog in this fight but would like some input from some of the members that have ordered custom builds in case I want to. When he ordered the pistol he was told there would be a 3 to 4 month wait. That was ok so he ordered the gun and paid for it up front in full. Thinking like I would that it would expedite matters, but it's now been a full 6 months since it was ordered and paid for and no gun. In my friends talking to him he seems to have excuse after excuse on why it's taking so long. Hard to find good help, parts are hard to get ect, ect. He has been able to turn out a few shop guns to sell . Talks about it on his Facebook page as well as building some competition shotguns. I don't know, and could be wrong but if I paid for a gun up front I would kinda want to be put before the shop guns being built that have no customers waiting, especially since the due date was missed by 2 to 3 months. This is his 2nd custom and the first one was spot on as far as wait time. Does this happen more then not and if this happened to you what would you do. Thanks. Gabe

It's a hard lesson, when you wait twice as long and still don't get what you want.

Gotta watch out for warranty work, especially. Places like Wilson Combat will take your gun in to fix it and get it back to you. Talk to a custom guy and 'okay, your fix will be in my work log, it'll just take a year to fix that small part.'

So I'm ordering from SVI.

Not how we do things, we tell you when it will be ready, and it is. We guarentee 14 business days on our current gun builds / gunsmithing.

I can't see how a business can operate like that.

We are looking into building STI's due to customer's asking.

Congratulations, but, you are in the minority in my experience.

Part of the problem with gunsmiths who don't have a large workforce, or any, is that if they send something out for a finish - for instance - they are then at the mercy of their suppliers.

Steve I see where you are coming from, but I feel if you pay 100% up front you ought to be put in front of the shop builds. I mean if I fork over $3500 for a pistol being within a few weeks of delivery time ought to be a gimme. And it's supposedly coming unfinished to be sent back after the owner tests it out to make sure it's working to his satisfaction.

Congratulations, but, you are in the minority in my experience.

Part of the problem with gunsmiths who don't have a large workforce, or any, is that if they send something out for a finish - for instance - they are then at the mercy of their suppliers.

That is/can be a big problem. Seems to be the worst in the gun industry. As well as the most accepted :mellow:

Not gun related but...

I've had a couple custom knives on order from Direware, Since August 14 of 2012,

www.direware.com

hahahahhhha, and believe me this is not unusual, especially if the maker is hot and in high demand.

Most of the guys making knives that I’m looking at are 3~4 years out right now! :surprise::surprise::surprise:

When were the knives promised? If it's I'll call you when they're done or I'm 3 years behind no problem. If you were promised them in a year and it's been way over 2 he's dragging his feet. If a custom maker gives a completion date and has been doing the work long enough it shouldn't be that hard to hit the mark. Especially if they give their self a month window to complete it in to compensate for unforeseen things happening. I don't have a problem with the wait time, be it 2 months or 2 years. The problem I have is when a custom maker tells you 2 months then takes 2 years to get it done.

Most of the guys making knives that I’m looking at are 3~4 years out right now! :surprise::surprise::surprise:

That's okay, as long as the knifemaker tells people in advance that they won't

get the knife until they're too old to use it.

Bad to tell people it will be ready in 5 months, and then take three years. :cheers:

Oh, I knew coming into this that it would take 2~3 years, it's very common in the custom knife world, this particular maker closed his books after his lead time got out to 4 years. Im just extremely happy I got in before he closed them. :cheers:

By the way, these guys don't promise anything, standard practice is "I'll let you know when it's getting close to delivery", and then you wait, it's a pure luxury item, and investment. It's not something I need, it's something I want, :devil: and I will wait as long as it takes to get that bad boy... :roflol:

I have had a lot of custom guns built and have never paid the full amount up front. Usually 50% with order and balance upon completion. Must be nice to run your business on some bodies interest free money. To bad you can't contract it like some construction jobs with penalties for not finishing on time.

I have had a lot of custom guns built and have never paid the full amount up front. Usually 50% with order and balance upon completion. Must be nice to run your business on some bodies interest free money. To bad you can't contract it like some construction jobs with penalties for not finishing on time.

Well said! :tup:

• 2 weeks later...