Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Precision STI Eagle

jackson923

Got my Dawson Edge CRP 40 a few months back. I decided to just shoot it with no changes and stock mags. It shot great with zero malfunctions.

Put a few hundred rounds through it and a match or two. If you don't have problems, don't mess with it. If you do then you know what to change.

Got my Dawson Edge CRP 40 a few months back. I decided to just shoot it with no changes and stock mags. It shot great with zero malfunctions.

Put a few hundred rounds through it and a match or two. If you don't have problems, don't mess with it. If you do then you know what to change.

+1

Mr George, I have tuned and regular mags for my STI. Both work without any issues.

Will you be reloading? What caliber? If so find a recipe that you want. In my 9mm, I reload to 1.15 OAL. In .40 I believe it's 1.20 OAL.

Don't forget to zero your pistol. I use a 25 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just recently got my CRP Eagle from Dawson Precision in 9mm. I haven't put but about 100 rounds thru it. So far it is truly a great gun.

I had mine hard chromed. While I intend to shoot IDPA mainly and some steel it came out a little more expensive with the CRP and hard chrome than buying just the pistol and having it hard chromed. The CRP from Dawson Precision you get all the stuff Buddy2 mentioned plus a Dawson Precision toolless guide rod. Even though I can't use most of that for IDPA I think there was a $20 dollar difference with Dawson CRP package and hard chrome than with the basic pistol and having it hard chromed thru Dawson.

So far I'm not complaining.

Edited by shotgunone

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I did when I ordered 2 additional magazine's was to file a little bit off the back feed lip that is under the ejector. It was pretty close and when I seated the magazine with some force it would hit the ejector or come close. I looked at the one I got with the gun from Dawson an it appeared that they had (or somebody did) file that part down. I haven't done any other mods to the gun. It runs like a champ. Got probably close to 500 to 600 rounds thru it. Not a hiccup.

Tony H.

• 3 weeks later...

Jackson,

If it isn't too late; I have a bushing CRP 9mm Eagle in 9mm that I used for IDPA, but is now primarily used for steel. The gun has been awesome although I have have had a trigger job done with EGW components. Depending on your designated use, the pistol will not be suitable for IDPA with the over-sized mag release and Ice mag well. I believe Dawson will send you the original STI mag release which can be exchanged for use in IDPA. The Dawson release is better if you plan on using 140mm magazines as it prevents over-insertion. If you just plan on using 126mm mags, then the over-insertion feature is not that big of a deal. Also, if you want your gun to fit in the box, the ice magwel will have to be replaced. When I used to shoot IDPA, I used an STI magwell and cut the sides until it conformed to the required dimensions. The width of my magwell is 1.619" and it fits in the box, but still has the same internal dimensions. Additionally, if you plan on doing any milling on the slide at a later date, I would recommend getting a blued gun. I have heard some opinions that hard-chrome can make the metal brittle which is not desirable if you plan on cutting holes in it. Additionally, if you decide to mill it, the hard chrome will most likely have to bead blasted off anyways. Overall, the gun is awesome and mine has been very accurate with a variety of loads.

All I had to do on the mag release was to remove the low pro button and I replaced the big ice magwell with a tactical magwell. Also put the original mag base pad back on the magizine. The rest should work for IDPA.

And Dawson sends you the original part that they replace or took off your gun.

Edited by shotgunone