Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bumping safety on help

bthoefer

I occasionally bump the safety on while shooting. I do ride the safety with my right thumb, but still occasionally bump the safety on with my left hand. I think this is happening when I relax my grip to transition or reload.

I'm running an STI Trojan with an Ed brown ambi safety. I have cut down the right side safety so that i am not hitting it with my strong hand trigger finger.

I have put in a heavier detent spring in also.

What do you guys suggest to make the safety harder to bump on?

Thank you.

If you are using the proper thumbs forward grip your strong hand thumb should be resting on the base of the palm of your weak and, not the safety. When I grip the gun properly my strong hand thumb can't even touch the safety because the palm of my left hand is covering it. I use a narrow safety that is just wide enough to flick off during the draw with the strong hand thumb, but narrow enough to not get bumped back on by my palm when my grip is completed.

I occasionally bump the safety on while shooting. I do ride the safety with my right thumb, but still occasionally bump the safety on with my left hand. I think this is happening when I relax my grip to transition or reload.

I'm running an STI Trojan with an Ed brown ambi safety. I have cut down the right side safety so that i am not hitting it with my strong hand trigger finger.

Thank you.

I have seen some people will drill the face of the safety slightly so the detent ball sinks in a little at the OFF and ON locations to make it harder to move it accidentally.

If I primarily shot single stack I think my grip would change to fix this.

As it is, I primarily shoot production due to the lack of local competition in SS in my area. The last match I shot out of 43 shooters there were 3 in SS.

That is why I'm looking for a hardware solution if possible. If I can't get it worked out I might consider selling / trading the Trojan for a CZ shadow of some sort.

First make sure the safety has a solid "click" when pushing it off, so it stays off. Above posts are good suggestions to remedy this if it is already not crisp. Then look at your grip. If you have a perfect safety and continue to make contact with it pushing it up, then you need to alter your grip.

+1 for a larger safety pad for your strong side thumb to ride ON TOP

Drilled the detent on the safety deeper. Should fix the issue. I used a drill bit just a little smaller than the plunger, then used one the same size to break the edge a little. At first the safety would not go on at all. I smoothed the edge with the larger bit to smooth the edge until it would go on, barely. I can just barely put the safety on with my strong hand.

Id like to see a pic of your grip or would have to see you grip the pistol to be able to diagnose what the issue is. Strong thumb should ride on top of the satefy and support thumb should ride along side the frame. If your support hand palm is causing activation of the thumb safety, your support hand isn't quite rolled forward enough and that's whats causing the issue I'd presume. I can't really see how changing your support hand grip a touch would somehow compromise your grip with your production pistol. It's not a hardware issue.....It's a training and technique issue

If you are using the proper thumbs forward grip your strong hand thumb should be resting on the base of the palm of your weak and, not the safety. When I grip the gun properly my strong hand thumb can't even touch the safety because the palm of my left hand is covering it. I use a narrow safety that is just wide enough to flick off during the draw with the strong hand thumb, but narrow enough to not get bumped back on by my palm when my grip is completed.

+ 1 thats how i do it, my gun smith keeps telling me to go for a bigger thumb rest so i can ride it but i find the small one much better

+ 1 thats how i do it, my gun smith keeps telling me to go for a bigger thumb rest so i can ride it but i find the small one much better

I had the same issue with the stock STI safety which is a good bit thinner.

I switched to the larger Ed Brown safety to help with this and also to give me more space to keep my thumb on the safety without riding the slide.

Based on your pictures, you need to narrow the left side safety paddle. No matter how much detent you put into the safety to lock it into positions, you will always have issues with bumping it back on.

Your two handed grip looks correct and your strong hand thumb is laying on top of your weak hand thumb base as it should. The higher up your left hand is on the side of the gun the more recoil management you can produce. So being high enough that the palm of your weak hand is touching the safety isn't a "bad" thing. You simply need to tune the hardware to work with that type of grip.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Thank you.

In the pictures, it doesn't look as though you are riding the safety with your right hand thumb as you mentioned in your op.

Edited by JMike

Thank you.

In the pictures, it doesn't look as though you are riding the safety with your right hand thumb as you mentioned in your op.

I am on the safety but is is almost at the base of my thumb, between the first and second knuckle.

Probably take a touch off that left side safety.

Also try rolling your support hand a touch more forward to reduce contact of the safety with your palm

I roll my left hand as far as I can before I start to lose contact with the gun. I'll try and adjust it a further forward.

GRG 10-2-14 Stage 2:

This stage didn't go so well but the gun ran fine. I got caught up between stages dealing with some stuff for the match and didn't get my plan really burnt in. Did an extra reload that I didn't plan, plus the mag I reloaded to only had 4 rounds in it. Double derp.

Edited by bthoefer

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes there is wear on the plunger that changes the shape of it. Other times the thumb safety has worn where it rides over the plunger. Lastly maybe a different spring. All these things can be a factor after enough use.