Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules for using suppressor on rifle

What are the rules for using a rifle suppressor for Multigun at your club?

One local club just made a rule change than basically ANY muzzle device used in Tactical had to be no more than 1" dia x 3" long. Not sure why the change was made, but since rules are different everywhere, I though I would throw it out there and see what you think.

I planned to shoot Tac Iron using a 9mm carbine with a red dot and a can just because it's fun, but guess I get to load everything up to capacity since I will need to shoot in Open now. I don't care either way, but don't understand the rule applying to suppressors either.

We base our IPSC Rifle match equipment rules on USPSA, IMGA and old SOF rules.

Suppressors are plenty legal in any division.

They are not an advantage at all. They are heavy, get friggin hot, change your zero, ect.

Some matches do not allow them in anything but open. Not sure why, but that is a decision Match Directors have to make.

I am using a Sure Fire Mini on my 223 rifles. I dont shoot without it anymore.

It's all better now. The match director decided to not require suppressors to be used only in Open.

Good news. Hopefully, over time, all of Match Directors will allow them. When I say "over time," I mean yesterday.

This way the shooting sports can battle against the stigma of suppressors and all things NFA. If we can show them being used safely for fun, it takes ammo away from the anti-gunners.

Strangest thing is the NRA allows full auto M-14s and M-16s (shot on semi) at High Power matches, but suppressors are specifically not allowed, at all.

Strangest thing is the NRA allows full auto M-14s and M-16s (shot on semi) at High Power matches, but suppressors are specifically not allowed, at all.

Different reason for the rules. Selective-fire is general issue for service rifles. Suppressors are not.

There is a misconception, based on watching too many movies I think, with many match directors about how "quiet" silencers are. THey think that the timer won't pick up shots.

The other problem is they think that silencers are too quiet, so they take a problem that doesn't exist and crank up the sensitivity on the timers to a level that it creates a problem of it picking up shots from other bays.......

Edited by BigLucky

What are the rules for using a rifle suppressor for Multigun at your club?

One local club just made a rule change than basically ANY muzzle device used in Tactical had to be no more than 1" dia x 3" long. Not sure why the change was made, but since rules are different everywhere, I though I would throw it out there and see what you think.

I planned to shoot Tac Iron using a 9mm carbine with a red dot and a can just because it's fun, but guess I get to load everything up to capacity since I will need to shoot in Open now. I don't care either way, but don't understand the rule applying to suppressors either.

You may also have trouble at you local club with shooting the 9mm and being allowed to compete for score. Most all 3 gun requires a rifle round and usually list a .223 minimum cal.

9mm is .355 and fired from a rifle which is bigger than .224, so no issues there :P I know what you are saying, but there is no power factor specified, so how can you argue that either way?

This is more about having fun with cool toys. I felt the MD unfairly put the supressors in Open division as a one size fits all sort of rule, so I thought I'd start this thread and sent the MD a link to it. There is no doubt that I can go faster with a gas gun in .223 than the blowback 9mm as the .223 just simply runs faster and has less recoil.

I wasn't going to fight over it, but it didn't make sense to me, so I questioned the change as did others. Had the rule been left standing that made cans only used in Open, I would have shot Open with a red dot and still been competitive. Doesn't really matter to me, but hate to see rules made or changed as a reaction to one or 2 complaints. The original problem he was trying to address was someone using too large of a muzzle brake in Tactical and the shooter wanted to argue it wasn't a compensator, but a flash hider or muzzle brake. (I wasn't part of the conversation, so don't know exactly)