Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you notice a difference between target makers?

Sandbagger123

I believe there is/was a standard that stated something like "target perforations should not be visible at a distance of more than XX yards"---

but dangit they should be visible at a distance of 6 inches!

Some of the target manufacturers seem to be using a thinner cardboard, and the perforations are very shallow and hard to see.

Shooter's Connection targets are perforated the lightest it seems. If the sun is just right they take an extra look usually but 95% of the time they are just as good a piece of cardboard as the next guy. I believe target barn is the other big player. Really only a few official target makers out there. At the end of the day they are just trash so I would look for the best deal and keep in mind you can pick them up from Shooter's Connection to save on shipping if you are in their neck of the woods.

I believe there is/was a standard that stated something like "target perforations should not be visible at a distance of more than XX yards"---

but dangit they should be visible at a distance of 6 inches!

Some of the target manufacturers seem to be using a thinner cardboard, and the perforations are very shallow and hard to see.

4.2.2 Paper targets must have scoring lines and non-scoring borders clearly
marked on the face of the target, however, scoring lines and non-scoring
borders should not be visible beyond a distance of 33 feet. The scoring
zones reward power in USPSA matches.

We have had targets from American Target (Colorado), MGM (Idaho), Shooters Connection (Kentucky), Target Barn (Ohio) and Law Enforcement Targets (Minnesota) over the course of 4 years. Yes, there are variations and I prefer some vendors for tape (hate pasters), some have better prices for IDPA, some for USPSA and some have pre-made hardcover targets that save a lot of time and money. The MGMs are half the thickness of the ones we get from AT and SC, which is good and bad. The collapse easier in wind and wet, but they take up less space in the dumpster and the perfs are a bit fainter. AT does not make IDPA targets, USPSA classic, nor carry tape, if they did, that is what I would stick with to cut the shipping costs. When I figure in the cost of paint for hardcover, it makes the LET pre-painted targets a pretty decent deal, and they have the turtles and paper (half the price) as well.

The AT, SC and TB targets I have at the house all look about the same, and it is probably about 30 to 35 feet that i lose the perfs. All of the targets we have bought have the "Official USPSA..." on the bottom and the name of the maker.

• 2 weeks later...