Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder checks?

I don't own a dillon powder check so I can't make a fair comparison, but I do have a lock-out. The lock out is nice in that it physically jams the press and prevents you from proceeding. The downside is it physically jams the press, which can make you question whether its the powder check or something else causing it. Sensitivity wise the RCBS will only check for doubles and no charge cases, which is not a bad thing.

One other thing I ran into. With dense powders and small cases with a thick web the foot of the RCBS can contact the walls of the case and gives a false reading of a charge when infact the case is empty.

Get the LED light kit and use your eyes.

I agree with Brian's assessment in his FAQ section. The Dillon solution is inexpensive for what it does but speaking for myself, it develops a dependence and fosters complacency.

Developing good loading habits and utilizing a load that fills the case up 60% or more will prevent errors.

I work in automation and controls for a living. Done a lot of research to find an ideal sensor that can fit within the confines of a press, that is non-contact and still maintain compatibility with different calibers.

The only technology that comes close to performing this task is a chromatic confocal sensor and the price is in the thousands. It is a little out of my range.

Edited by Currently

I have a Dillon Powder Check Die on each of my loading toolheads. IMHO it is cheap insurance against a moment's distraction, running out of powder, a bad drop from poor-flowing powder etc. It will detect slightly high or low powder, and can also be checked visually at the bottom of each stroke as an extra line of defense. I recommend this technology highly.

I have a Dillon Powder Check Die on each of my loading toolheads. IMHO it is cheap insurance against a moment's distraction, running out of powder, a bad drop from poor-flowing powder etc. It will detect slightly high or low powder, and can also be checked visually at the bottom of each stroke as an extra line of defense. I recommend this technology highly.

+1, I have them on each loading toolhead as well. I still use my eyes and have additional lighting, the Dillon powder check die is one more tool in the toolbox.

+1, I have them on each loading toolhead as well. I still use my eyes and have additional lighting, the Dillon powder check die is one more tool in the toolbox.

Absolutely. These are safety devices; good to have but you don't rely on them as a first line of defense just like you don't pull the trigger of a loaded 1911 with the thumb safety on.

I think better rests with your comfort factor. I have the Dillon powder check on all my tool heads and I am good with it. But there is something to be said for a device that stops the press when there is a powder charge issue (assuming the RCBS actually works).

Edited by mcracco

What is funny is with the 650 all set up, I don't have a die where the powder check would be. It is so easy to look and see how much powder is in the brass that I wonder if a powder die is as accurate. I had no problems getting the correct charge on my 550 or SQB.

Now I just installed my Inline Fab Skylight along with the normal 'operating room' lights I normally use. The Skylight along with Inline's handle rock.

I think I will save and get a bullet feeder.

I use the Dillon pc when I can. Like having seat belts and air bags, redundancy seldom hurts and if it catches a high or low charge when you don't..well it paid for itself.

The main reason I use GSI bullet feeders, so I can retain the PC die.

Edited by jmorris

I use the Dillon pc when I can. Like having seat belts and air bags, redundancy seldom hurts and if it catches a high or low charge when you don't..well it paid for itself.

The main reason I use GSI bullet feeders, so I can retain the PC die.

How close does the Dillon get to detecting light or over charges?

You sold me on getting a GSI, they need your video on their website.

Depends on the powder and caliber, If you play a bit with the adjustment, I'd say plus or minus 10%, I never really specifically tested/measured it before.

YMMV

I have a powder check die on all of my tool heads and just move the alarm itself to the head I'm using. I also purchased some extra powder check rods and I keep some of them set for my every day loads.

One thing I noticed, I've never had an over charge.

What I have had was a few grains (actual grains - not the measurement of mass) of media in a few 223 cases. Even though I have a universal decapping die in station one of my loading head, they were still in there.

When I was loading 223, I had a primer feed malfunction, and a primer was not seated. Of course that ball powder leaked right out the primer flash hole. The powder check alerted me to that too.

When I set the check rod, I have it so the activating button is nearly at the bottom of the cut out ( the > portion) of the check rod. I'm guessing that's why it picked up on those few grains of media. When powder goes out the flash hole it's pretty evident.

I do know this, visually it would have been very hard if not impossible to detect the cases with the media in when operating the press at normal speed. Which in my case, isn't that fast.

Edited by Henny

bad idea to rely on technology to save you ... you will come to assume nothing can ever go wrong ... until it does. Just get a small LED light & position over station 3 so you can easily see in the case and physically look in the case each and every time. I shoot 25,000+ rounds a year and have not had a squid (never had a double charge) since getting the press first working ....

bad idea to rely on technology to save you

No way to keep from that these days. You run into technology protecting you everywhere in life. The water in your shower didn't burn you because someone designed and implemented a device that does not allow the water to get too hot. There are hundreds more examples that everyone uses every day. For that matter thousands rely on technology 24-7 just to stay alive, without it they would die.

Edited by jmorris

. Depends on the powder .2 grn with one of the powders I use.
I'm real happy if it detects +/- .5 grn powder.

Yep, depends on the powder. "fluffy" powders will allow for less variance than compact powders. Trail boss, for example almost has to be spot on to pass the PC.