Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Gauging Procedure at Nationals

MikeRush

My understanding is that the 2014 rulebook includes a clarification on the mag gauging procedure which would prohibit a mag that doesn't clear the gauge without mild pressure applied toward the base pad end of the gauge.

The way I am reading it a lot of people might hit snags at chrono next week. Some of the more popular "gauge legal" pads have considerable vertical play that would cause them to expand in length slightly with a spring and follower installed.

How has gauging been performed at Majors so far and more importantly is there any way to know how it will be used at Nationals? I'm looking at ways of correcting my personal case but I don't want to repeat what I did last year.

Thanks- last year I didn't see a gauge at Nationals either. At Area 2 the mags were held firmly down and mine would be legal.

I just am not sure if I'm willing to risk shooting my iron sighted 40 in open. I guess the easy answer is sti factory pads and giving up one round.

Can anyone weigh in on my question of how it has been done at majors this year?

Yup, one of my squadmates at A8 was surprised when one of his mags showed daylight against the gauge. I know the RM was called in to resolve the issue, but I don't recall what the resolution was because chrono was tough on my squad that day.

Appendix E1: The magazine shall be placed into the gauge without any force or depression. It must lie so that the back of the magazine is flush against the gauge. The follower may be depressed to ensure proper fit.

I HAVE had mags checked at A5 and IL Sectional before, so yes, sometimes they DO check.

Just remember, nothing in the rules says that the mag has to be LOADED when it is checked. They're gauging the mag, not the mag + ammo.
Sometimes a mag may not fit when fully loaded, but will when unloaded, so if they ask to gauge your mags, give them an UNLOADED one!

• 3 weeks later...

They are probably like us Terry, they should check all mags but rarely do.

Out of the last 5 State Titles (our version of Area championships) I've been to (various states), only 1 checked mags. And they checked all mags. A couple of people in my squad that day got bumped to Open when not all of their mags were the same and a particular combo wouldn't fit the box or the gauge.

After laboriously peening the bottom of my mags tighten up the fit of the base pad so all my mags fit the gauge they didn't gauge mine at Nationals. I'm happy I'm compliant- at least I know they fit the gauge!

Well, the idea is that at any time. a match official can demand to gauge a SPECIFIC mag of THEIR choosing. The can walk up to you and say, "Let me have that mag." I've never seen anyone actuallly DO it, but theoretically they can.