Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decentralized Autonomous Governing Body for USPSA?

kneelingatlas

There have been a few threads on this forum surrounding allegations of financial impropriety and lack of transparency in USPSA; while I have no interest in debating the legitimacy of these claims, I wonder how many of my fellow shooters are familiar with decentralized autonomous corporations? and if the governing body of a sport such as ours might be a good application?

I am far from an expert in the subject, but it certainly interests me and from my elementary understanding of the mechanics, it seems like a protocol could easily be written on a platform like Etherium.

Any thoughts?

Isn't USPSA already centralized control/decentralized execution? HQ puts out a rulebook. Clubs execute the rulebook. That is pretty decentralized.

Or I am misunderstanding your meaning.

I couldn't get thru the $10 words in the first paragraph of the Wiki page.

Isn't USPSA already centralized control/decentralized execution? HQ puts out a rulebook. Clubs execute the rulebook. That is pretty decentralized.

Or I am misunderstanding your meaning.

I couldn't get thru the $10 words in the first paragraph of the Wiki page.

Yes it is that's the whole point, when you have a problem of trust at the head of an organization conventional wisdom says to simply replace the head and hope it changes; what I'm asking is if there's another way to accomplish what we want?

; what I'm asking is if there's another way to accomplish what we want?

And what is that we want? For my $40 I want a rulebook, a process that ensures a fair and even application of those rules, a classification system, and for the governing body of the sport to market it to potential sponsors and companies so that there are possibilities for matches, clubs, and shooters to get sponosrship.

While some of the issues that have been brought up recently are important they basically fluff. They are not issues that effect the operation of matches, clubs or shooters in the sport. Should they be addressed, of course, but the level of outrage being offered by some is over the top, it seems that all they want is a pound of flesh for anything they don't like or agree with.

And what is that we want? For my $40 I want a rulebook, a process that ensures a fair and even application of those rules, a classification system, and for the governing body of the sport to market it to potential sponsors and companies so that there are possibilities for matches, clubs, and shooters to get sponsorship.

While some of the issues that have been brought up recently are important they basically fluff. They are not issues that effect the operation of matches, clubs or shooters in the sport. Should they be addressed, of course, but the level of outrage being offered by some is over the top, it seems that all they want is a pound of flesh for anything they don't like or agree with.

In my opinion those pushing ever new controversies are doing so for their own political reasons. In politics you never let the facts get in the way of a good story and you flog a scandal until you can no longer get away with it. Seems like what is going on here.

There are certainly real issues that need to be dealt with but as with most political scandals the truth at the end will be much less sensational than we were led to believe.

I think it's a good idea. However, getting it set up might be too expensive. It would certainly entail rewriting by-laws, reorganization of USPSA, and an active knowledgeable board who want to serve, rather than serve by default. For those who aren't familiar, it is kind of the way online banking is done now. Minimizes human effort, and is available 24/7. Membership, classifiers, match scores, match entry all automated. Would require knowledge that we do not presently have in current admin, but that knowledge can be bought. I think the idea is that USPSA is a very basic entity and has been complicated by people not really knowing what they are doing. We have a 30 year history and knowledge base that could be used to set up such a system.

; what I'm asking is if there's another way to accomplish what we want?

And what is that we want? For my $40 I want a rulebook, a process that ensures a fair and even application of those rules, a classification system.

This is pretty much it. Pay online, searchable data for rules (substituting PDF for written rule book isn't the same thing), scores and classifiers automated and online.

The time it frees up for MDs would allow all those business things you mentioned to occur. USPSA is about classifications, running matches, and rules. Under the mission of being a shooting sport. That's all.

I think it would change the whole flavor of everything. Kind of the way Practiscore has changed every kind of match.

Edited by Jadeslade