Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about barrel change out and .223 Wylde.

SicSTi

Couple questions:

1) I'm looking at buying a Nordic SS 16" midlength barrel and was wondering when changing out a barrel if there is anything else u have to do besides drop it in and do a headspace check??

2) Are there any drawbacks to running a .223 Wylde barrel or is it the new cool thing to do?

Edited by SicSTi

I do not reload, does the Wylde have issues with 5.56 factory ammo or does it just run anything like a champ?

I have a 18" barrel with a Wylde chamber and 1 in 8 twist. I have had no problems running 5.56 or .223 with bullet weights from 45 gr to 68 gr and never had any feeding clambering or extraction problems. Several people that I know that run Wylde chambered barrels also have no problems.

Awesome, guess I'm ordering one tomorrow then... thinking about running the Nordic 16" midlength with a SJC titan and a adjustable gas block... running a stag m16 bcg with a spikes t2 buffer right now but upgrading those for 3 gun will have to wait until I have more money. But also dropping in a CMC flat trigger this week too.

Awesome, guess I'm ordering one tomorrow then... thinking about running the Nordic 16" midlength with a SJC titan and a adjustable gas block... running a stag m16 bcg with a spikes t2 buffer right now but upgrading those for 3 gun will have to wait until I have more money. But also dropping in a CMC flat trigger this week too.

Best trigger on the market for the money IMHO. Just for fun, shoot some before and after 5 shot groups when you put it in, you'll be even more impressed with your purchase.

Technically the Wylde has its own gage dimensions, though I have found that if it gages with .223 it gages with Wylde-spec gages as well. Unfired factory brass will run fine in either .223 or 5.56. The Wylde has a tighter body than a 5.56 chamber, but not as tight as a .223 match chamber. Throat dimensions are also unique, allowing 5.56 without pressure issues. It is the only reamer we use for 3gun rifles.

In the end its more about that the pressure spec for 5.56 ammo is higher then it is for .223. I have and have had rifle barrels with all kinds of .223/ Wylde/ 5.56 chambers. Just because a barrel says its a xxx, does not mean that another guys xxx is the same. 5.56 & .223 reamers very even though there are specs. some chamber dimensions are the same and some have longer throats then others etc. Most factory .223 guns have very very long throats and ".223" chambers that are large enough to chamber and safely fire 5.56mm.

I have never had to use a SB die on any semi auto I have owned and I know of at least one guy that used to neck size all his ammo for this AR15 service rifle after it was fired out of his rifle. I am confident that if you have a .223, Wylde and 5.56 chamber cut all with the same throats then pressure will all be about the same with the same ammo.

Chamber dimensions do play a role in pressure as does the diameter of the barrel, land and grove size, throat wear, throat surface....I could go on... so just because one guys ammo is safe in his xxx barrel with YYY chamber does not mean it will be safe in another guys DDD barrel with the same YYY chamber.

Oh yea, I almost forgot so add that we use .223 dies and those sized dimensions are all over the place too....

There's alot of speculation and misinformation about this subject, so I thought I'd post an example of actual shop drawing.

Here's a drawing from Pacific Tool that shows a comparison of their reamer dimensions for all three chamber types. Throats from neck out are biggest dimensional variance, but Note: the body diameter at the shoulder is largest on the Wylde, while the neck diameter is largest on the 5.56

Some companies grind their own reamers so this isn't the end-all but might help folks understand the difference better.

post-34123-0-54983900-1410411018_thumb.j

:cheers: