Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tulammo through a chrono?

TonytheTiger

Decided to put a JP buffer spring in my 16" mid length non adjustable gas standard bcg rifle today and immediately started to get failures to feed with my junky bullet hosing ammo. I threw the old spring back in and it was fine. Didn't feel the buffer impulse either so I'm wondering if the stuff is loaded slow enough that the JP extra power spring is too much for it and it's short stroking. It's also happened with the original spring in 20 degree or lower temps but I don't have access to a chrono so I don't know just how inconsistent the ammo is. Makes me think when I finally get my LMOS system put together I won't be able to get it tuned to reliably run both my cheap practice ammo and decent factory stuff on the same gas setting.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I had no bolt lock back and that it occasionally does it with the original spring too. Run any brass cased ammo and all problems go away. Ditching the steel case stuff wouldn't be the end of the world for me but it seems strange that a rifle with those specs would be under gassed with any factory ammo. I have heard of friction issues running steel ammo in Pmags, something to do with the mags feeding too slow so just for fun I hosed a mag full of rem oil and it seemed to help for 10 whole rounds. Not that pre lubing my mags and ammo is a reasonable thing to need to do.

But if you don't lube it before you stick it.... Wait, what are we talking about?

I like where this is going, tell me more.

The oiling of the mag was more of an experiment than a potential answer to my problem. That or I was just trying to pretend I was shooting a Fiat-Revelli model 14 machine gun.

Oooohh nice reference! You can and should run graphite on steel cased ammo. Cures the sticking problem, and you don't have to own an olive farm for the gun to run. :) graphite helps all steel cased ammo to run and run well.....no help in accuracy though! :(

I figured someone here would pick up on that. I'll have to try the graphite, never thought of that. Still thinking about ditching the steel stuff, even though in my gun it shoots 5 shot groups around or a little over 1-1/2 at 100 which is good enough for most of my sub-200yd practice. It does seem to get kind of erratic past 300yds though, that could just be the guy shooting.

Hey, if it does that group wise, graphite it and never look back! This little trick has worked across the board! Just another quality service from Red Neck Tactical!!! No one has stuck a case after graphiting them, lacquered or Polymer!!!! :)

Is there a specific technique to applying the magical steel case elixir? Perhaps something as advanced as rolling a box worth of cartridges on a paper plate full of graphite or is it a good opportunity to spend some bonding time feeling up my rounds one at a time right before they blow their load?

It's pretty nice to be able to hit most targets with ammo that costs .25 per round. I had two buddies that didn't believe tula could shoot that well, I proved them wrong, one ordered the same rifle the next day and the others been pinching pennies to get one ever since.