Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm SVI single stack advice

LegionShooter

As I mentioned in the 10mm thread, I have an itch I'm looking to scratch. I'm looking at ordering an SVI single stack as a carry gun to replace my G19, and the 10mm itch has hit me. What's the consensus on a 10mm in a Commander length pistol? Also to make it a little different I considered a sight tracker barrel for this build as well. If a sight tracker isn't viable or capable of the longevity due to the caliber, then a bushing barrel so I can use it in some class of shooting sport if I chose. I submitted two build sheets to SVI today for build quotes and for advice on the caliber/platform combination. I also used the search going back a couple years but there isn't much that addresses the 10 for a CCW choice. Help me spend my money on this and let me hear your opinions.

I have not seen a 10mm commander in person (nor heard much about them) but I think Fusion firearms might build them

Semi-unrelated: Dan Wesson is supposed to be releasing some new pistols of which I think a couple are 10mms and one might be a commander

If it was me I would get a 10mm and .40 barrel fitted in a gov length slide with bushing... or just get a G20

SVI could build you a commander sized double stack 10mm with a steel grip, just saying

I'm sure SVI can build you a commander how ever you would like, and I'm sure it will be awesome. I would go with a bull barrel for 10mm, if I were you. You could always do a second barrel in .40 with a bushing for gun games, so your good where a bull barrel isn't allowed and you won't have to look for your brass

Dan Wesson used to make 10mm commanders, not sure if they still do

I was thinking of Fusion but heard of more than a few people not happy with theirs. Ended up ordering a custom stainless commander sized 10mm double stack short block (with a stainless grip) from one of BE's Vendors. Much more affordable than SVI and a considerably shorter wait.

Edited by CCC1911

SVI could build you a commander sized double stack 10mm with a steel grip, just saying

I'm sure SVI can build you a commander how ever you would like, and I'm sure it will be awesome. I would go with a bull barrel for 10mm, if I were you. You could always do a second barrel in .40 with a bushing for gun games, so your good where a bull barrel isn't allowed and you won't have to look for your brass

Dan Wesson used to make 10mm commanders, not sure if they still do

I was thinking of Fusion but heard of more than a few people not happy with theirs. Ended up ordering a custom stainless commander sized 10mm double stack short block (with a stainless grip) from one of BE's Vendors. Much more affordable than SVI and a considerably shorter wait.

The reason for the single stack instead of double is that I want something more slim and concealable than my G19. Plus you just can't hate a 1911 for comfort and style. You mention going with a bull barrel for 10mm. What is the advantage over a bushing in this caliber? I have a Limited gun in .40 already so that game is covered. I was thinking more along the lines of running a second gun at matches in Single Stack just for kicks if I felt like it, or perhaps ESP in IDPA with it.

What's the big deal with 10mm? It's just one measley mm bigger than a 9, and those are wimpy! Why not just stick with a 45?

Sounds like a fun blaster! I'm excited to save up for a CCO of some sort, seems like the ideal carry aize

Haha! Yeah, what's one mm really do for you anyway? B) As for the reason I don't just go with .45, well I have a Kimber in .45 and I just want something a little different. The 10 has always had my attention, just never quite enough to get one over a "standard" caliber. I also considered going with 38 Super as they both have a wide range of bullet options, but I already reload for .40 so...10 won out.

I'm excited to hear some more opinions and to hear what SV and company say when I get a reply email. Less excited about a long wait, but what can you do?

Bull barrel likely suggested for some additional mass out front to help with recoil mitigation. I would guess that all the non-reciprocating mass you can add to a Commander-sized 1911 in 10mm would be appreciated. Add a rail to a full-length dust cover. Make the grips out of lead, tungsten guide rod...

I also used the search going back a couple years but there isn't much that addresses the 10 for a CCW choice. Help me spend my money on this and let me hear your opinions.

The 10mm has been my carry gun for almost 10 years. Had a conversion barrel for a Glock 30, built a 10mm Para Ord P16, then converted a Kimber Pro Carry .40 to 10mm and ended up getting a new slide assembly and barrel for it.

My gun has a Fusion slide and barrel. I couldn't be happier with it. It's never given me trouble in the 80,000+ rounds I have through it. 175/180gr @ 1300fps and 200gr @ 1200fps.

Bull barrel likely suggested for some additional mass out front to help with recoil mitigation. I would guess that all the non-reciprocating mass you can add to a Commander-sized 1911 in 10mm would be appreciated. Add a rail to a full-length dust cover. Make the grips out of lead, tungsten guide rod...

This is nonsense. You don't need any special recoil mitigation with a 10mm 1911. Doing what you suggest will make the gun so heavy it won't be comfortable to carry. Yeah I get the it should be comforting, not comfortable macho talk all the time. Reality is a gun that is too heavy or isn't comfortable to carry is a gun left at home in the safe when something bad happens. My aluminum frame 10mm commander weighs as much as a Glock 29 but has all the benefits of the 1911 platform: better trigger, better ergonomics, all metal frame, slimmer profile. I used to carry a Para Ord P16 that I converted into 10mm when myself and a few guys on Glocktalk got in a competition about carrying a 10mm. With one in the chamber and a +2rd baseplate I had 19 rounds in the gun and 36 rounds on my belt for a total of 55rds of 10mm. I got older and wiser and my carry guns have gotten lighter and lighter. This 10mm aluminum commander is my vision of the ideal carry gun and close range woods gun for spot and stalk hunting that I do. I competed in IDPA locally and placed in the top 5 in my division of a field of 30-35 in the division. I shot nothing but my full power 230PF handloads during competition.

I suggested the bull barrel for the added mass to help mitigate recoil, if you want a sight tracker they are even heavier (than bull)

Aluminum frame is nice and light, to carry. I prefer a heavier gun, especially when shooting 10mm. Carrying an all steel full size 1911 doesn't bother me

Everyone prefers something different. Each person's unique build may make a different shape or weight pistol more or less comfortable or concealable

Nice piece Freakshow

I always thought a 10mm CCO would make a nice little carry gun. You probably wouldn't want to shoot more than a couple hundred rounds per outing with it though... unless your really tough.

DSCN1546_zps9ff59dd4.jpg

Very nice looking gun! That is essentially the setup I used for my initial build sheet to SV. I opted for a stainless frame also though in an effort to help with the recoil, as well as a tungsten guide rod. I may reconsider that as this evolves because I do want a "relatively light" carry gun. I went with the duo-tone finish and ambi safety since i'm a lefty as well.

I'd like to get an ambi safety too. I'm right hand dominate, but it just makes sense to have that as an option. Stainless frame isn't that much heavier than aluminum on a scale, but carrying the gun for 14-16 hours a day, you notice it. Been dragging my feet on night sights as well. One day though.

I went with a Fusion slide (they use STI) and bushing barrel instead of keeping the original Kimber barrel that I rechambered. The 4" bull barrel was great but I hated having to use a tool to field strip the weapon. I sold the top half and got a Fusion slide, barrel, and small parts. I run a shorty guide rod and plug. Ed Brown externals, C&S internals. The only things that are stock OEM Kimber are the frame, grips/bushings, and mag release.

Have them build whatever you like/want, it's your money. I do tend to agree with "the lighter the better" for a carry gun unless you carry in a full blown patrol belt, etc. I recently retired my 4.5" Sight Tracker carry gun and the biggest reason was the weight. It was a joy to shoot, but not a lot of fun to carry in a single belt configuration.

I have shot the 10mm loaded about every way it can be loaded, from heavy hard-cast bullets to lwt screamers, in any gun built to shoot it. I believe it is one of the most versatile pistol calibers in existence.

My opinion on all of this? If I was writing the check and I wanted SVI to build it, I would call SVI and turn them loose with a budget. I look at it this way: If I knew how to build a better pistol than SVI, I would build it. Since I can't, why would I pick and choose parts and pieces and then tell a master smith to put them together? Part of the genius I expect to get when spending $4,000-$5,000 on a gun is the genius that is gained by a master smith from the 1,000 or 5,000 guns he built before mine.

"I need a single stack 10mm, fiber optic front, black hard-use back sight that will easily grab a belt, or pocket, or board if I need it to, bushing barrel...as light as you can make it and be 100% reliable, under $x,xxx.xx (your budget)". In other words, my phone call to SVI would be expensive, but only about 5 minutes long:)

Good luck and have fun!

My opinion on all of this? If I was writing the check and I wanted SVI to build it, I would call SVI and turn them loose with a budget. I look at it this way: If I knew how to build a better pistol than SVI, I would build it. Since I can't, why would I pick and choose parts and pieces and then tell a master smith to put them together? Part of the genius I expect to get when spending $4,000-$5,000 on a gun is the genius that is gained by a master smith from the 1,000 or 5,000 guns he built before mine.

That's one of the reasons I went with SVI for my very first 1911 build. The price that I ended up being quoted for my build was in the ballpark of what other master builders would have charged me (sometimes a bit more, sometimes pretty close to the same) and I get the end-to-end SVI supply chain where they are crafting almost all of the parts and putting it together to their standards. Basically, it feels like I hired an engineering firm to build me a pistol rather than a gunsmith at times and I'm more than fine with that.

The customer service has been fantastic and Brandon and the staff have been very patient when it's come to questions that I'm sure are pretty basic. The local Enos Team Infinity people have been awesome also when it's come to questions on equipment, care and feeding of the pistol once I get it, etc.

I have shot the 10mm loaded about every way it can be loaded, from heavy hard-cast bullets to lwt screamers, in any gun built to shoot it. I believe it is one of the most versatile pistol calibers in existence.

"I need a single stack 10mm, fiber optic front, black hard-use back sight that will easily grab a belt, or pocket, or board if I need it to, bushing barrel...as light as you can make it and be 100% reliable, under $x,xxx.xx (your budget)". In other words, my phone call to SVI would be expensive, but only about 5 minutes long:)

Good luck and have fun!

That's a route that I really hadn't thought about yet. I guess I'll wait and see what the initial build quote is from them and go from there. I'd be interested to see what they came up with given free reign with a couple parameters and a fair budget.

I had my first phone call with Brandon yesterday. He was as knowledgeable and easy to talk to as everyone else here has stated. I think I have just about nailed down the design and should place my order in the next day or two. He went over my design and thought everything looked good with the exception of the barrel length. He felt I would be better served running a barrel a bit longer than commander length for maximum reliability with the 10mm chambering (due to retaining a full stroke cycle instead of the shorter stroke of a commander). So he suggested a modified barrel length that I will use. Still smaller than full government length but a shade longer than commander. And importantly still as concealable, if not a bit more than my Glock. Once I have everything finalized i'll post it up and start waiting...thanks to everyone for the replies and advice thus far.

I agree that a proper setup should run fine. After the conversation I had, and given the reputation of the individual and the company, I decided to go along with his suggestion. And it only adds .25 inches to the barrel so I won't really notice it carrying anyway. And on that note, the deposit is down and I am officially in the waiting room. Specs:

10mm

modified commander length

Stainless, duo-tone frame and slide

tungsten guide rod

tri-glide trigger with red trigger shoe (short/flat)

green fiber front sight .100x1

black absolute zero rear

slide flat top and stirrup cut

AET barrel

bushing barrel, barrel flush cut to bushing with 45 degree crown

no front serrations

freeform rear serrations

rear panel cut with custom engraving in the panel

all stainless controls

flat stainless mainspring housing

carbon fiber grips with custom logo engraving

5 magazines