Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ85 Combat for Production?

RAZZ

I have the itch to try out a new production division gun, and I would really like to pick up a CZ. I have tried out a couple of SP01 Shadows, and while I like the way the gun feels in my hand, and the trigger, I'm not sure I can get used to the weight. I have shot a plastic gun for so long that the SP01 feels like a boat anchor. So I thought perhaps a good compromise wold be an 85 Combat.

Other than the extra weight of the Shadow some would find advantageous, is there any disadvantage to going with the 85? If I do end up getting an 85, what are the must have trigger components that I should pick up (I'm not afraid of fitting them myself)? Also, would you recommend the 16 round mags that come with the 85, or just get the 19 round mags that come with 01s?

Thanks for your help.

The 85C is a fantastic value and a great start to your CZ collection. The only downside to the 85C vs 75 Shadow is the short beaver tail, other than that you're good to go.

The biggest reason to buy the Shadow pistols over the 75B or the SP01 is that the Shadows lack a firing pin block giving them the potential for the ultimate short light trigger; the 85C also lacks that block.

Here's a picture tutorial to tune up the trigger: CZ Tuning 101 with Professor Atlas

Edited by kneelingatlas

Well that was impulsive. I just bought a 75 Shadow off of Gunbroker. What mags should I get? More of the MecGar 16 rounders, or are the 19 round mags easier to reload (I have noticed some people feel a longer magazine is easier to load into the gun at speed)?

Good to know. CDNN has them relatively cheap.

Are there specific trigger parts I should be looking at for the short reset? I have been looking around at CZ custom and Cajun Gun Works, but I'm not certain what I'm looking at and I want to make sure I get the right stuff. I will probably just shoot it as is for a while, but I'm sure I'll end up messing with it eventually.

I have the itch to try out a new production division gun, and I would really like to pick up a CZ. I have tried out a couple of SP01 Shadows, and while I like the way the gun feels in my hand, and the trigger, I'm not sure I can get used to the weight. I have shot a plastic gun for so long that the SP01 feels like a boat anchor. So I thought perhaps a good compromise wold be an 85 Combat.

Other than the extra weight of the Shadow some would find advantageous, is there any disadvantage to going with the 85? If I do end up getting an 85, what are the must have trigger components that I should pick up (I'm not afraid of fitting them myself)? Also, would you recommend the 16 round mags that come with the 85, or just get the 19 round mags that come with 01s?

Thanks for your help.

As is was stated by another, a good option would be the P-09. It is Plastic, lighter and shoots as well as my Shadow. I like a lighter gun also, but the nice option is the changable back straps on the P-09. Also the drop in options from CGW make it very easy to mod yourself.

BGC

For those who have experience with both, how favorably does the stock Shadow hammer compare to the CZC race hammer? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Would it still be IPSC legal if I swapped in the race hammer?

Thanks.

So I got my new Shadow in yesterday, and it's awesome. Thank you all for the advice.

Quick question--I dislike the wide right side safety. Am I reading correctly that the narrow safety levers are interchangeable and still IPSC legal? Anyone have any they'd like to sell?

Thanks!

For those who have experience with both, how favorably does the stock Shadow hammer compare to the CZC race hammer? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Would it still be IPSC legal if I swapped in the race hammer?

Thanks.

Would be legal

So I got my new Shadow in yesterday, and it's awesome. Thank you all for the advice.

Quick question--I dislike the wide right side safety. Am I reading correctly that the narrow safety levers are interchangeable and still IPSC legal? Anyone have any they'd like to sell?

Thanks!

Have sets available if you can't find any.

Thanks!

I'll trade you a set of SP01 safeties for Shadow safeties, are yours the D style or the tumbler style? (take a picture of the right side and I can tell you if you don't know); if tumbler we'll have to trade sear cages as well.

I also recommend you get the +10% magazine springs from CZC. The stock ones are awful.

http://czcustom.com/CZ75magazinesprings10.aspx

If you want to have a lot of fun get the 8.5lbs hammer spring and trigger return spring from Cajun Gun Works. I have a 4lbs DA and a 1lbs 12oz SA. :cheers: You will be limited to Federal Primers

That's nuts! I can't believe you got it that light!

Like CPA50, I was also wondering about the legalities (in IPSC as well as USPSA) of beveling the magwell. I thought all Shadows had a beveled magwell, but it must just be the 01, as my 75 is not.

Thanks.

Would be legal

Stuart, is the CZC race hammer a (OFM) CZ UB part? It needs to to be in order to be IPSC PD legal.

I'd like to hear from someone who is shooting a P-09 for production

I have both the Shadow and a P-09 I shoot in my local USPSA Production Division. Honestly as far as recoil and tracking the front sights on targets I can't tell a lot of difference. Some find the Beavertail on the P-09 to be more comfortable, but I can't say I've noted a difference. If I didn't already own the Shadow and had the P-09 I not sure I could justify buying a Shadow.

Well that was impulsive. I just bought a 75 Shadow off of Gunbroker. What mags should I get? More of the MecGar 16 rounders, or are the 19 round mags easier to reload (I have noticed some people feel a longer magazine is easier to load into the gun at speed)?

I think you made the right choice. 85 is a great gun, but something I forgot to mention, if I'm not mistaken if the magwell on an 85 is the same as a 75B/75BD, then the Shadow has a magwell that is a little more generous than the 85, not huge by any means, but just enough to make reloads a tad bit easier.