Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading .40 S&W, any tips?

DuplexAlpha

Picking up my press on the weekend, lots of cleaned brass, Frontier .40S&W 180gr RNFP CMJ projectile, Winchester 231, and CCI small primer. This is the loading info I've been able to find that's closest to my combination.

post-55506-0-35128800-1409772353_thumb.ppost-55506-0-37092200-1409772367_thumb.p

Thinking of starting at 4.5gr, and seeing how they do. I have a feeling I'll like it as a practice/target load, and may need to work my way up a little more to make Standard Major. Any tips or suggestions?

Edited by DuplexAlpha

Thanks guys. It was hard enough finding powder local so as to avoid that massive "hazardous materials" shipping cost, that I didn't have to drive very far for, and got for a fair price. 231 wasn't ideal, but it should for what I want it for, which is mostly target/plinking. I go through about 4000-5000 rounds a season practicing/participating in IPSC, so hoping the loading equipment/investment is recouped quickly . . . either that or shoot more ;)

I'm loading similar projectiles (Berry's 180 gn RNFP plated) for plinking and target shooting to 25 yds. I'm using 4.1 gn of W231 and it seems to provide decent grouping out of my M&P40 (4.25" barrel). 4.5 gn should also work fine but given the powder shortage, I'm using the lower amount since both loads shot similar groupings for me. I'd suggest you try a ladder test starting around 3.9 gn and working up in 0.2 gn increments to your 4.5 gn and see which load your gun likes best.

My Bad

Here is Midway USA and the G-RX Push Thru: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/358543/redding-g-rx-base-sizing-die-kit-40-s-and-w-357-sig-10mm-auto

Lee U-Die: http://www.egwguns.com/tooling/undersize-reloading-die-.40-s-w/10mm/

They both do the same thing, the G-RX requires a Single Stage press and a seperate step. The Lee die is used to replace you factory De-capper and does it at the same time. This will help eliminate the bulge commonly called "Glock Bulge" from the bottoms of brass fired from Glock 40cal pistols.

I'm loading similar projectiles (Berry's 180 gn RNFP plated) for plinking and target shooting to 25 yds. I'm using 4.1 gn of W231 and it seems to provide decent grouping out of my M&P40 (4.25" barrel). 4.5 gn should also work fine but given the powder shortage, I'm using the lower amount since both loads shot similar groupings for me. I'd suggest you try a ladder test starting around 3.9 gn and working up in 0.2 gn increments to your 4.5 gn and see which load your gun likes best.

Perhaps I'll start even lower at 4.1 and go up from there instead of starting at 4.5. Thanks for the advice.

I would start at lowest and shoot a couple. Your 40 may not cycle on lowest starting powder range. My xd40 fte or stove piped every other one. Bumped up 1 gr and was fine. Now im shooting 165 gr at 5.7gr of unique

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

definitely get a U-die. I'm on my way to 50k rounds of .40 loaded with almost zero issues using 1x fired Glock brass exclusively. Ive seen a bunch of new shooters have brass related malfunctiuons

Well the current plan is to run a 5 station press in the following configuration:

Station 1: Deprime with a universal decapping die

Station 2: Sizing with a carbide die and decapper removed

Station 3: Powder through expander

Station 4: Seat bullet

Station 5: Factory crimp die