Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification system for the rimfire division of Steel Challenge

Nimitz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another thing to look at as a cross check would be the current percentage of GMs vs all other classes in the centerfire division. Currently there are approximately 1000 people ranked on the SCSA website. Of those, only the top 26 are GMs. That works out to only the top 2.6%. If you want it to be similar to USPSA than you might need to relax that a bit so the top 5% are GMs ...

Not sure they are considering updating the centerfire division in this discussion about adding classes within divisions plus a new rimfire division but maybe it might be a good idea to. Using the Nationals as a baseline is certainly one way to do it but it can be somewhat artificial since while the top shooters may attend, a representative cross section of others shooters don't for various reasons. One of the reasons I shot the US Steel Nationals was because it was in my backyard. I elected not to attend the World Speed Shooting Championship because it was in Utah ....

The new classification system for SC was approved at the BoD mtg. No specifics provided since the classification committee has to work this out but it's supposed to closely mirror th current USPSA system. No mention of whether a rimfire classification system was going to be included ...

Agree but almost anything would be better than what we have now where open masters compete with Production C class shooters ... And rimfire has nothing ...

Rimfire classification is a MUST have, IMO. Hopefully we'll get some information on it soon. Ideally we'd get classifications in centerfire by division just like USPSA and then separate classifications for rimfire pistol and rimfire rifle.

If I remember correctly the original proposal to the BoD about updating the classification system was to mirror USPSA, separate divisions and classes within the divisions ... there was also talk about separate rimfire rifle and pistol categories ...

well I just got a message from Flex and he said the rimfire classification system was discussed as well and was supposed to be executed as well ...

Does anyone know if your USPSA membership is enough to get a Steel Challenge classification when you shoot sanctioned SC matches or do you need to join the SCSA as well as USPSA?

well I just got a message from Flex and he said the rimfire classification system was discussed as well and was supposed to be executed as well ...

Does anyone know if your USPSA membership is enough to get a Steel Challenge classification when you shoot sanctioned SC matches or do you need to join the SCSA as well as USPSA?

That's good news about Rimfire. Did he share any details on how it's supposed to be implemented?

As far as classification goes your USPSA number is all you need.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, the centerfire classification has been up and running for about a year. However, USPSA now plans to add a rimfire division classification system and make both look more like USPSA with separate divisions and classifications within each division. Right now a C class Production shooter competes against a GM open shooter ....

It's a topic for discussion at the next BoD meeting. From the USPSA web site:

December 9th BOD Meeting Agenda

The Board of Directors Phone-in meeting Agenda

December 9th, 2014

- Update of ByLaw 10.5 (COI policy)

- Report of revised Slot Policy

- Re-numbering of Multi-gun Rules

- Review of SCSA Classification

It would be great to have USPSA get this going. Most of the matches I attend have a 2 to 1 ratio of rim fire guns to center fire guns. Also, if you want to get kids and new shooters into a sport, it's much easier and cheaper to give it a try with a 22. If they started promoting rim fire a bit more I think it would really help the sport grow. It would help USPSA in the long run also as many folks would try USPSA matches after starting out in the simpler Steel Challenge matches. That's what I and several of my local club guys have done.

Most of the matches I attend have a 2 to 1 ratio of rim fire guns to center fire guns.

Ours isn't quite 2:1 but rim fire is more popular than center fire that's for sure. At our match today we had 12 center fire guns, 17 rim fire pistols and 16 rim fire rifles. We plan to start shooting NSSF rimfire challenge matches in January and that's generating a lot of interest at our club -- especially since we can buy .22 ammo for that match through NSSF.