Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification system for the rimfire division of Steel Challenge

Nimitz

I think as the availability of 22 ammo increases (it seems to be getting a little bit better) there will be more. It's just so much easier to start out a new shooting sport with a 22. I still run the IHMSA pistol silhouette matches at our range and the 22's far out number the center fire entries. I have to confess, I love shooting my tricked out 10/22 rifle at Steel Challenge more than my 9mm Steel Master.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come on .. i'm trying to get a sponsoership from STI ... :)

both guns were done by Extremeshooters.com ...

i had Duracoat make a custom blue color for me which i sent to them plus a drawing of what i wanted done and Jason did the rest. He really does amazing work. He also did the grip texturing for the STI as well.

Zack Jones, if you get one, you won't regret it. They are a blast! :devil:

STI's are great guns. I used to have an Edge when I shot limited. I suppose if I sold everything other than my 22's I could buy a new steel master. You don't see used ones that often.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the decimals one digit off? It is either that or I just don't understand it...

I don't think so. I'll try to explain it differently looking at the production set of data. 65 is the baseline value. If you can shoot all 6 classification stages in 65 seconds or less you're a steel GM. 75 to 66 seconds makes you a steel master and so forth. The way I came with the 1.15 numbers as follows. 75/65 = 1.15 meaning 75 seconds is 1.15 times greater than 65. Another way of looking at it is a master class shooter could 1.15 times slower than a GM. I then calculated the values for the other classes. Hopefully it makes more sense now.

I don't think those aggregate levels will work for Rimfire. I mean just this year alone my aggregate from sanctioned matches for the 6 classifier stages for RFRO is 65.85 and for RFPO it is 72.78. And yes I am beating guys who hold M and GM in the centerfire divisions sometimes but the top rimfire guys are still killing me.

BOD Minutes are posted with classification details. They are based on Peak stage times and include times for rimfire pistols only. Rimfire rifle times will be determined in the future. I have not thoroughly validated the data in the screen capture but it should give you an idea of the time ranges for each class within each division. What's interesting is for me is under the new classification system I'll move up to B in Production and Open. I'm current C class now.

Numbers are approximate and I used whole numbers to make things easier.

ETA: These numbers work if you have shot all 8 official stages. I'll work on calculating them for each stage and division later.

post-50397-0-64017400-1418299677_thumb.j

Edited by ZackJones

If I am reading this right sub 115 in Production is Master. That doesn't sound right.

Yes, a 115 for all 8 stages would be an 85.2%, thus you would be a Master. The new 2016 system is using all 8 stages from what I can tell, although you can be classified with only 4 stages from what the BOD minutes said.

The current classification system uses 6 stages, Outer Limits and Speed Option don't currently count towards classification, but they do count towards your ranking. So if you are looking at your current classification time on the SCSA website and it is 115, then add your fastest times for OL and SO for the conversion to the 2016 system.

post-43369-0-59871600-1418322577_thumb.j

So are they saying that a Steel Challenge classification will only require any 4 of the 8 stages? So a sandbagger could shoot smoke & hope, roundabout, showdown and accelerator and make say GM without ever having to shoot the others? Obviously since the classification is a rolling system, whereby every time you shoot a stage in a sanctioned match your classification will be updated but ....

If all 8 stages can be used but don't need to be used, won't that squew folks classification since as soon as you shoot Outer Limits your total time will go up or will the system just use your 4 fastest stage times no matter which ones you shoot?

Edited by Nimitz

So are they saying that a Steel Challenge classification will only require any 4 of the 8 stages? So a sandbagger could shoot smoke & hope, roundabout, showdown and accelerator and make say GM without ever having to shoot the others? Obviously since the classification is a rolling system, whereby every time you shoot a stage in a sanctioned match your classification will be updated but ....

If all 8 stages can be used but don't need to be used, won't that squew folks classification since as soon as you shoot Outer Limits your total time will go up or will the system just use your 4 fastest stage times no matter which ones you shoot?

I think they need to clarify a lot of it. I am guessing maybe it will be your best four? Kinda like USPSA where your best four classifiers are used??? But hey, at least they have until 2016 to figure it out.

I assume like USPSA, only your best time for a stage will count toward your classification once you have multiple times for each stage ... In other words, your classification can't drop so say, once you make Master, no matter what you shoot in the future you classification will always be no lower than master