Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub-minor and PractiScore

ZackJones

When someone pays $125+ to shoot a match, and we can't give them something as simple as a copy of their scores, whether they DQ'ed, went sub-minor, or whatever, that's just LAME.

If you're going to compile scores and give them to the shooter, what is the penalty for going sub-minor? If the competitor fails to make minor, they shoot for no score; that seems like pretty clear direction to me: don't keep track of their score.

(If you reinstate a deleted competitor, his scores are still there? I'm assuming so...)

At a major match, the guy gets the yellow copy of his scoresheet. At a Lvl1 match..., well unless a big Lvl2/3 is coming up, we hardly ever chronograph at a monthly match anyway.

Edited by wgnoyes

At almost every Area II, I have had shooters go subminor and then shoot for no score. Some definitely have continued in the match for the fun and to be with their friends.

I have actually had MORE shoot for no score due to equipment failure If they have too long of a magazine in Open, they are moved out of the match. Same with a match with only one division, such as our Western States Single Stack Championship.

Chrono is the best stage on the match, or your worst nightmare - Prepare!

So everyone's talking about "show the score" or "don't show the score" and so on.

What's the nitty gritty of what people want to see? With stage point/hit factor scoring, they sure has heck better receive 0 stage points on all the stages. Showing their A/B/C/etc. hits and time is fine, but since they didn't earn any stage points that column should always be zero in my opinion. Hit factor should probably be shown as zero as well. If they want to know it, they can go figure it out.

Next question, is this even a Practiscore question? Or once again are we going to run into the "EZWin won't accept that data" quandry and we're stuck wondering if that will ever get updated to where Practiscore can send the info over to EZWin....

DQ and DNF marks in PractiScore already do not come over to EZWS. If we add a NFS, that would just be another tag that could be monitored and changed in EZWS to "Remove from Match" or "DQ" as the match director desires.

BTW, I do believe that a failure to meet division equipment requirements is a DQ, but I also certainly understand that DQ has the connotation of a safety infraction so lumping equipment in there is not a good thing. NFS seems to be a good approach. I like that scores are displayed but not calculated too.

since they didn't earn any stage points that column should always be zero in my opinion. Hit factor should probably be shown as zero as well.

It's not just your opinion :cheers:

If the resultant power factor fails to meet the minimum power factor floor for the relevant Division, the competitor may continue shooting the match, but not for score or match recognition.

since they didn't earn any stage points that column should always be zero in my opinion. Hit factor should probably be shown as zero as well.

It's not just your opinion :cheers:

If the resultant power factor fails to meet the minimum power factor floor for the relevant Division, the competitor may continue shooting the match, but not for score or match recognition.

Heh... I was saying it's my opinion that the score and hit factors not even appear on the results; the fact that they don't count in the results is, of course, already decided and not subject to debate.

On a side note, the NFS tag might be useful for matches that allow one to shoot a second division/different gun the second time around, but not ... for score (duh!). Similar to how some other sports allow competitors to declare "exhibition" or something like that.

Edited by jester121

Bill, have you ever had a case of a shooter going sub-minor at any of the matches where you have run stats? I just wonder what percentage of shooters would continue to shoot after going sub-minor.

A friend of mine did it ~ 10 years ago at a level 2. He finished shooting the match with us -- and had fun.....

Linda Chico -- the awesome stats person -- either left him in the daily results so he could see where he finished that night, or sent him a copy of the results for his division before deleting him for going sub minor......

Bill, have you ever had a case of a shooter going sub-minor at any of the matches where you have run stats? I just wonder what percentage of shooters would continue to shoot after going sub-minor.

A friend of mine did it ~ 10 years ago at a level 2. He finished shooting the match with us -- and had fun.....

Linda Chico -- the awesome stats person -- either left him in the daily results so he could see where he finished that night, or sent him a copy of the results for his division before deleting him for going sub minor......

See, that's the kind of customer service I'm talking about. It's the >decent< thing to do.

I agree. I'd probably favor displaying them at the bottom of the page, with time, points, penalties, and even a HF calculation -- but no stage or match points.....

I'm pretty sure from chatting with my friend that he was upset that he sub-minored -- seeing how he might have stacked up against us if his ammo had made power factor didn't help his mood much, but let him know what he needed to work on before the next major....

• 9 months later...

Well the recently completed Wisconsin section used Practiscore and the sub minors all showed up with points, penalties, and time but the hit factors were all zero. Since PP and T were available you could still calculate a HF assuming your bullets flew just a tad faster.