Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got a P-09....

ny32182

As a note and please, someone correct me if i am wrong but when running a factory decocker you can start in production or SSP with the hammer in the decocked position, ie wherever it falls to when using the mechanical device. You do NOT need to lower the hammer any further beyond that point.

I would run the decocker unless you need the lower profile safety, ie your grip is that high and the front edge of the decocking lever bothers you.

There is no difference in trigger feel between the two mechanisms and they can be switched out easily and without any real fanfare.

That is not how they do it in Mid-Atlantic, We have to drop the hammer down for Production and SSP as per the interpretation of the rules. I had to do it on my SP-01 tactical, P-07 and P-09.

bgc

Then they are wrong in the Mid-Atlantic.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=30

Created: 3/06/08

Updated: 6/02/14

Effective: 6/02/14

Rule Number: Appx D4 Spec

Applies to: Pistol

Ruling Authority: John Amidon

Question: Does the CZ decocker or others similar, lower the hammer sufficiently to comply with Production division, and if not, how would they comply with the wording in 10.5.9 without being DQ'd?

Answer: Manufacturers have installed decockers to take the hammer safely to a position that is deemed safe, therefore; the term fully decocked is the position that the hammer rest at once the decocker has been used. Altering a factory installed decocker to bring the hammer to rest at less than a half cocked position is not allowed.

Edited by alma

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non captured CGW steel guide rod just arrived; looks nice and probably also a little heavier than stock... lighter recoil spring and rod go in tonight.

It looks very similar to the SSS rod I ran in my M&P... I might mic some dimensions and see if they look truly interchangeable.

As a note and please, someone correct me if i am wrong but when running a factory decocker you can start in production or SSP with the hammer in the decocked position, ie wherever it falls to when using the mechanical device. You do NOT need to lower the hammer any further beyond that point.

I would run the decocker unless you need the lower profile safety, ie your grip is that high and the front edge of the decocking lever bothers you.

There is no difference in trigger feel between the two mechanisms and they can be switched out easily and without any real fanfare.

That is not how they do it in Mid-Atlantic, We have to drop the hammer down for Production and SSP as per the interpretation of the rules. I had to do it on my SP-01 tactical, P-07 and P-09.

bgc

Then they are wrong in the Mid-Atlantic.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=30

Created: 3/06/08

Updated: 6/02/14

Effective: 6/02/14

Rule Number: Appx D4 Spec

Applies to: Pistol

Ruling Authority: John Amidon

Question: Does the CZ decocker or others similar, lower the hammer sufficiently to comply with Production division, and if not, how would they comply with the wording in 10.5.9 without being DQ'd?

Answer: Manufacturers have installed decockers to take the hammer safely to a position that is deemed safe, therefore; the term fully decocked is the position that the hammer rest at once the decocker has been used. Altering a factory installed decocker to bring the hammer to rest at less than a half cocked position is not allowed.

Thanks for the reference. Will bring it up at the next match.

Bruce

Beginning to play a little bit with the P09

Changed out the sights to fiber optic front and black rear, which is my preference over 3 dot setups.

1HTAC_0158_zps5507005e.jpg

Got the action worked over too and much better. More fun to shoot for sure with the improvements

Stuart...can you guys please counter sink the holes for your fiber optic front sights? Pretty please? With sugary goodness on top?

Any plans to offer the Htac rear with different sized notches?

Edited by Magsz

Stuart...can you guys please counter sink the holes for your fiber optic front sights? Pretty please? With sugary goodness on top?

Any plans to offer the Htac rear with different sized notches?

Agree on all points.

I'd like to see an HTAC .140 - .150 rear as well...and maybe even a non serrated version :bow:

What are all the sight options for this gun? I'll eventually want the typical competition setup of a thin FO front, and adjustable black rear to match my other guns.

I shot 100 rounds through it yesterday with some out to 50 yards, and it looks like the stock sights are bang-on zeroed, but, I would like to have the picture match my other guns.

Also I'm not going to have an easy transition to shooting this gun at speed until the trigger is better, which is on the agenda of course...

Dawson is really the only game in town for sight options as far as im concerned. Dawson has a few options as far as front blade thickness and quite a few options as far as notch width in the rear. Unfortunately, there are not alot of options out there as far as different designs.

I dont get a .125 thick front blade with a .123 rear notch...at all so CZ custom sights are personally out for me. The HTAC sight for the P09 looks marvelous but unless there are some additional notch widths i wont be going that route since dawson doesnt make a proper front sight to pair with it.

Stuart, odd question but the plain, serrated black sights that you have on the site for the Shadow. Will they fit a PO9 front dovetail? Im wondering if the Dovetail dimensions are the same minus the need for a cross pin and obviously a vertical set screw to secure the front sight into the P09 dovetail. I figured perhaps one of those sights could be press fit into the P09's dovetail and held in via friction if i was lucky.

I shot about 400 rounds through the P09 and dry practiced it to death before making any mods so I could really tell the difference (if any) with the mods that I planned to put in.

The gold hammer spring from CGW helps lighten the DA pull . I didn't setup an extended firing pin or anything and the gun has ran fine with GECO, PMC, Fiocchi, and American Eagle. I bought up another trigger sear too, and polished it up and it helped with the grit in the single action pull. You can feel the stagey trigger through the double action pull even with the lights hammer spring, but it isn't nearly as significant. Also with how fast you are normally running a trigger you don't feel the grit in the SA pull.

Polishing the sear, and the gold hammer spring are not must haves but definitely recommended.

As far as sights, I took the front sight off and used fluorescent orange on it and blacked out the rear sights. Made it much easier to pick up.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I updated this thread before, but the last thing I did with the P09 was put in a 13lb recoil spring and then try to shoot it at speed a little for the first time. I was missing a lot of resets, so, I assume the reset is longer than my Tanfos. Impressions on what I'll continue to change:

1) I'm going to go even lighter than 13lb on the recoil spring; it is still too stiff in my estimation. Since it is a hammer fired gun I bet it can be dropped to 9 or 10lb with no issues and make for a sweeter return.

2) I just got the Dawson sight set in from CGW, hoping to install this soon. The front sight looks a little fat, but I'm sure I'll be able to deal with it.

3) That leaves the trigger. The CGW pro package sounds pretty sweet, but that would technically throw it out of production and SSP. I might do that anyway as I can't imagine ever having a reason to shoot this gun in USPSA, and no longer really care what division I'm in for the couple IDPAs I shoot every year.

I also got a Bladetech holster for it that I have not tried yet, but it feels like it will do exactly what I want so far.

I don't think I updated this thread before, but the last thing I did with the P09 was put in a 13lb recoil spring and then try to shoot it at speed a little for the first time. I was missing a lot of resets, so, I assume the reset is longer than my Tanfos. Impressions on what I'll continue to change:

1) I'm going to go even lighter than 13lb on the recoil spring; it is still too stiff in my estimation. Since it is a hammer fired gun I bet it can be dropped to 9 or 10lb with no issues and make for a sweeter return.

2) I just got the Dawson sight set in from CGW, hoping to install this soon. The front sight looks a little fat, but I'm sure I'll be able to deal with it.

3) That leaves the trigger. The CGW pro package sounds pretty sweet, but that would technically throw it out of production and SSP. I might do that anyway as I can't imagine ever having a reason to shoot this gun in USPSA, and no longer really care what division I'm in for the couple IDPAs I shoot every year.

I also got a Bladetech holster for it that I have not tried yet, but it feels like it will do exactly what I want so far.

As long as the hammer and trigger themselves are OEM then you should still be Production legal. If the hammer is custom then you could always swap it out for the perhaps legal OEM CZ UB Comp hammer http://czcustom.com/p07p09czubcomphammer.aspx

That would be ideal....

Does anyone know if the recoil springs on the bottom of this page fit the P09?

http://cajungunworks.com/spring_kits.html

From David's site

*P Series Recoil Springs - We have found the 75 series recoil springs appear to work fine in the P-09 only.

​​We are working on recoil springs for the P-07 and they should be available in September.

I'm also a little worried that the rear sight is not adjustable... so we'll see how that plays out.

The CGW pro package comes with an aftermarket hammer.

Been shooting my P09 with fixed rear and have no issues. Shooting 124gr bullets have easy to shoot POA/POI, 5 to 30 yards. further out, just aim for center of target.

Thanks, didn't see that about the springs.

I'd really prefer an adjustable rear since I like a really fine tuned zero, but, will give the fixed a try. The stock sights are actually bang-on zeroed with my competition load...

Dawson sight installation, a couple questions....

Is the front likely to require any fitting?

How about the rear? Just undue the set screw and tap it out, or does it hold stuff into the slide, requiring gutting the slide first?