Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got a P-09....

ny32182

Interested in potentially setting it up for gun games.

What do you think I need to know? I'll probably come of with a bunch of random questions.

First, is there any reason to install the decocker vs. safety, or vice versa, from a trigger pull standpoint? (does one yield a nicer trigger pull)?

I understand that Glock/M&P recoil springs work... what about guide rods? Does anyone make a heavier non-captured rod?

I understand CGW is the hotness for turnkey competition packages right now?

Thanks.

I shoot Tanfoglios in Production right now, so am not wholly new to the general CZ type design.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as quality of the trigger pull I don't think there is any difference between the decocker vs manual safety, but in competition the decocker is safer and will reduce the risk of a discharge manually lowering the hammer.

When you use the decocker the pistol falls to the half cock notch which means there is SLIGHTLY less tension on the mechanism. Imagine a bit of LIGHT "pre travel" in your DA swing.

Here is a short video detailing the difference. I hope the concept is adequately conveyed as i suck monkey nards at video production.

CGW now has SS non-captive guide rods in stock. See the "P Series Parts & Accessories".

Thanks I will check that out for sure.

Compared to the unicorn directly out of the box, this gun has a better trigger, but I would not want to compete with either one stock. Really the P 09 is not bad though... breaks clean, smooth takeup, just heavy all the way around.

When you use the decocker the pistol falls to the half cock notch which means there is SLIGHTLY less tension on the mechanism.

Thanks, I noticed that as well.... however even from fully hammer down, I don't think the stroke is any longer than my unicorns, so if it can be lightened up I think I'd be fine with it. What sights do you have on your gun there?

I fired one mag through it today (wish I had time for more) but as I guessed, the decocker lever is digging into my strong hand on recoil. The safety lever looks to be much lower profile, so I'll probably drop that in and see if it fits better (I expect it to). Also the sights are diving bad on the return, but I assume that is a function of the heavy stock recoil spring. For 19 rounds it cycled fine with my 135pf loads.

Edited by ny32182

I currently have the Dawson sights on my gun, the shorter rear with a .170 front.

With 135 grain 9mm loads i am shooting RIGHT below the dot at 25 yards which i dont like. Going to a shorter front sight is something i DONT want to do as i do not like stubby sights so i am mostly "fooked' at this currently time.

David at CGW's is supposedly working on an adjustable rear so when that comes out i will reassess my sight situation.

For recoil springs you can just go ahead and unscrew the current guide rod screw and plop on your chosen recoil spring weight. I am running 11 lb springs with 132k power factor ammo and i notice a dip as well although i do believe i am over driving the gun.

How big are your hands? My medium sized hands are easily located below all of the controls on the gun and unlike my Shadows or my Glocks this pistol does NOT beat me up or make me bleed even after firing a ton of rounds. I dig it.

I would feel more confident with an out of the box P09 than i would with a Glock. The trigger is definitely workable, especially in SA.

Edited by Magsz

Yes,

With the Cajun Parts you cannot feel it.

The trigger in the P09 will NEVER be as smooth as a Shadow but it is workable and quite good for a third of the price...

Z, you're up the road from me. If you want to handle some worked over P09's please let me know, id be happy to whore out my pistols. :)

Edited by Magsz

I have big hands, but also my grip is higher than pretty much anyone's..... for any pistol with a manual safety, the question isn't whether I will have a problem, but rather, how bad will it be, and do they make a lever flat enough that I won't constantly flip it on unintentionally.

That is what I do with my unicorns (the stock2 safety works for me) but I can't shoot a 19/2011 at all because the safety is completely under my grip.

I just swapped from the decocker to the safety and it feels promising... bottom of the lever is not nearly as thick as the decocker (shouldn't dig into me nearly as much) and the tension is enough to where I doubt I will flip it on incidentally.

Yeah, really I wish I could shoot a 2011 sometimes. Or at least have the option.

But anyhow... can we definitely confirm that ISMI Glock/M&P flat wire recoil springs work in the P09? I've already got a pile of those, probably nothing lighter than 13lb at the moment though.

Yeah, really I wish I could shoot a 2011 sometimes. Or at least have the option.

But anyhow... can we definitely confirm that ISMI Glock/M&P flat wire recoil springs work in the P09? I've already got a pile of those, probably nothing lighter than 13lb at the moment though.

Yes they will. On the stock guide rod as well in the P-09 if you unscrew the end cap.

Thanks..

I was able to fire two magazines last night with the safety lever installed in place of the decocker. That isn't a lot of rounds obviously, but ergonomically I think it will be much better for me. I wasn't thinking about any kind of discomfort while shooting, the sights tracked straight down, and I didn't flip the safety on... definitely will be rolling with this setup moving forward.

Bladetech holster is on order...

Next up is to lighten the recoil spring... what are people running for recoil springs... 11lb, something like that?

What kind of muzzle flip are you noticing compared to your Stock 2's/Shadows? Thinking of getting one of these - held one and it felt better in my hands than my Shadow (filled my hand up more.) If it shoots flat I'm in.

I have been running my P-09 for 3 months and 2 3Gun matches and 1 USPSA match.

I have done the follow mods:

1) CGW mods for the trigger SA shorting

2) CGW Oversized Firing Pin and new spring

3) CGW Oversized DA Roller

4) i have change to fiber sites

5) Lighter HS

I have experimented with all the different HS and left the recoil spring alone for now and i am close to the smoothness of the DA pull as my CZC Dual tone Shadow Custom

I have also used the CZC P07 Extended Base Pad adds 4 rounds to the 19RD mag.

Still waiting on the Modified OEM Hammers to improve the crispness of the SA Pull.

BGC

What kind of muzzle flip are you noticing compared to your Stock 2's/Shadows? Thinking of getting one of these - held one and it felt better in my hands than my Shadow (filled my hand up more.) If it shoots flat I'm in.

In comparing to my Shadow Custom and with all my mods, it shots as good or better. The P09 fits my hand better and i can. The grip width is the same as my shadow 1.15" but the benefits of the P09 is the changable backstraps.

BGC

There is also more meat in the beavertail area which fills my hand up. This results in a pistol that tracks better than a Shadow.

I am running 11 lb recoil springs with 13 lb hammer springs and 132k power factor ammo, specifically a 135 grain load.

I enjoy the hell out of this setup. Muzzle rise is about the same between pistols with a nod towards the P09 having less "thump" in the hand which is odd considering the steel framed pistol is 10 ounces heavier.

There is also more meat in the beavertail area which fills my hand up. This results in a pistol that tracks better than a Shadow.

I am running 11 lb recoil springs with 13 lb hammer springs and 132k power factor ammo, specifically a 135 grain load.

I enjoy the hell out of this setup. Muzzle rise is about the same between pistols with a nod towards the P09 having less "thump" in the hand which is odd considering the steel framed pistol is 10 ounces heavier.

the Barrel Center Core is lower in the slide for the P-09 compared to the SP-01. less flip. and the slide is little wider also.

bgc

Edited by Bam Bam