Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the high-water mark

ErikW

... there was madness in any direction, at any hour ... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was `right', that we were winning ...

And that, I think, was the handle -- the sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply `prevail'. There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave ....

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark -- the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

-- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Movie?! Bahhhhh....

OK, I admit I saw the movie first. The book is better. Johnny Depp as Thompson? C'mon! At least Gilliam didn't cast Keanu Reeves as his Samoan lawyer. Benicio del Toro was great. Too good... he scared me, like the book.

OK, I don't read books. :) But I will see anythng with Depp, or written my Gilliam.

And, Benicio was the greatest. Im ROTHFLOL everytime I see or even think of the scene where he was trying to scare the girl over the phone....

be

• 3 years later...

Deserves BTT due to Thompson's death.

On the subject of uncle Duke in Doonesbury, even if you don't like Trudeau, it's worth getting a collection of old Doonesbury and reading the Duke strips. I was too young for Doonesbury but my father had a Doonesbury Chronicles book I read often.

I first read Thompson in the 8th grade in parochial school (68). Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga. One of the nuns took the book away from me and I had to go buy another copy to finish it ;-)

Later, I had a subscription to Rolling Stone in the seventies and read Thompson‘s Fear and Loathing articles there first. His early work through Rolling Stone is still his best work. Especially his campaign trail stuff. I will have to go read some of it again, except rum diary.

“When the going gets weird,. . . .the weird turn pro.”

Raoul Duke

--

Regards,

An ironic moment last night.

Channel 2 news here in the SF Bay area was airing it's teaser spot just before the 10 o'clock news. It was a short clip of Hunter S. Thompson blasting something on his fireplace mantel with a scoped Thompson Contender. They showed the clip several times, but I never did quite manage to find out what or why he was shooting inside his house.

But wait, Thompson shooting a Thompson wasn't the ironic moment. I was completely blasted on pain killers and the room was just starting a slow spin!

Ahh the marvels of modern medicine :blink:

Nolan

Awww shjt! I just read the reports about Hunters suicide. Well now I know why they were showing that particular clip.

Nolan

ps. the pain has subsided considerably and swelling has gone down so my knee is only the size of a small watermelon so I'm cutting back on the pain medication.

Edited by Nolan