Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle ammo accuracy ?

What kind of accuracy are you talking about? Consistently hitting a pie plate at 200yds with your AR, or 1 ragged 5 shot hole at 200yds with your bolt action .308? If it's the former, either press will do, if the latter, I would recommend a decent single stage press.

My 550 has a casefeeder on it so I don't even think about rifle ammo there. My single stage was my first press and I've always loaded my match .223/.308 on it.

The practice ammunition for the Palma matches has been loaded on XL650s and RL550 machines for years. the USAMU has a room full of Dillon equipment. Years ago a former employee set up an RL550 for 6mmTalldog, a benchrest wildcat, and set a couple of records for 200 yard aggregate benchrest shooting. There is no mechanical reason for a single stage to load ammunition more accurate than a progressive reloader. Die design and setup, combined with component selection have the greatest effect on the quality.

I believe David Tubbs has loaded more than a few award winning rounds on his Dillon. No hesitation to use either unit for match grade ammo.

yes, but not with a powder system most normal people own.

also the press is modified quite a bit.

One of these...? This is a Gen 2 Prometheus, last I knew David was still using a Gen 1. Davids press is not modified that much. Floating dies and the primer seat is pretty much the main details.

DSC02743.jpg

DSC02772.jpg

I believe David Tubbs has loaded more than a few award winning rounds on his Dillon. No hesitation to use either unit for match grade ammo.

yes, but not with a powder system most normal people own.

also the press is modified quite a bit.

One of these...? This is a Gen 2 Prometheus, last I knew David was still using a Gen 1. Davids press is not modified that much. Floating dies and the primer seat is pretty much the main details.

all correct as far as I remember.

I use a 1050 to load 308 ammo for Palma and international 300m competition at a fairly high level. It's taken a while to get the process just right, but I can't find any parameter that is demonstrably worse than I achieved on a single stage press (trim length, shoulder datum, length to ogive, bullet runout, for example). I mostly use Redding and Sinclair dies and I drop precisely weighed charges (from my own dispenser), which limits loading to about 200 or 250 per hour while case-prep runs at 1,000 per hour. I can't comment on how this would compare with a 650, but I'm very happy with the results from my 1050.