Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert Para .40 to 9mm Open?

ksf141

I have a Para P16 .40 limited that I built out for Limited years ago. All new internals, magwell, bull barrel etc. Im wondering if the frame can accept the Para p18 9mm/38super mags and I could put a 9mm open top end on it. Does anyone have any experience with a conversion similar to this or have any guidance?

I figure since I have the para frame with nice internals, and a holster setup for Para, it may be worth building an open top end for it.... Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

There also just happens to be someone in the classifieds selling a 9mm open top end with a para barrel cut...

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking of doing the same thing (open para). I do have a p14 and thinking of building a open 9major or 38 super. The only thing that is stopping is 170mm magazine, I do have some old para p18 mags(140mm) (canadian) but can't seem to find any 170mm.

My Para open gun started its life as a TJ Limited model in 40. Para full size frames are all the same.

No one makes a 170mm Para mag. You might find an old STI for Para mag here or you can either (a) use all STI mags and a certain mag catch which works with them or (B) use and STI 170mm magazine and just modify the mag catch slot.

JFlowers would mind posting picture of of you para open gun? any problems as far reliability wise? I do have a 2011 frame being build but I wan't to build my para as back up or a club gun while i'm waiting for my 2011 to finish.

My Para open gun started its life as a TJ Limited model in 40. Para full size frames are all the same.

No one makes a 170mm Para mag. You might find an old STI for Para mag here or you can either (a) use all STI mags and a certain mag catch which works with them or ( B) use and STI 170mm magazine and just modify the mag catch slot.

I previously had a para 38super open gun and had a 170mm mag made by welding two bodies together, worked awesome but sold the gun and mags and dont want to have to do it again.

Can you elaborate on the STI mag and mag catch option? I havent heard of this before. What mag catch are you using? Is it as simple as switching the mag catch and then using standard STI mags? Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

No one makes a 170mm Para mag. You might find an old STI for Para mag here or you can either (a) use all STI mags and a certain mag catch which works with them or ( B) use and STI 170mm magazine and just modify the mag catch slot.

I previously had a para 38super open gun and had a 170mm mag made by welding two bodies together, worked awesome but sold the gun and mags and dont want to have to do it again.

Can you elaborate on the STI mag and mag catch option? I havent heard of this before. What mag catch are you using? Is it as simple as switching the mag catch and then using standard STI mags? Thanks in advance.

I used to have a Para open gun, and I had a couple of the "STI for Para" mags for it. You can't just file the mag catch slot on the mag and get it to work. That works when going from a Para mag to STI, not the other way around. To do that, you would have to first weld up the hole in the mag and re-cut it for the Para catch.

You may be able to modify the mag catch in the gun to work with standard STI mags, but I haven't looked at whether or not this would work.

If you cut and weld a couple of Para mags, you can end up with a 170 mm mag that holds more ammo than any STI/SV mag out there. I've heard of people getting 33 or so rounds in the welded Para mags. Of course, you are then relying on the skill of the welder. But it's an option.

Edited by Garrett

Hi... I'd like to share what I did on my para ordinance 16-40...I converted it to 9mm minor/major

1. I bought the slide and compensator to BRAZOS during 2012 nationals in Las Vegas. Bought a kkm

Barrel and had my friend fitted it to the frame and slide.. He also made 5 holes (tap) 5-40 on the left

Side of the frame for my red dot mount..

2. I sent the gun to Doug for accurail because Para's frame is thinner than sti so in the long run it will have

Play.. But after the accurail i gave Doug 10 thumbs up for how fitted it is right now..

3. I bought the mag release to canyon creek and I fitted it to the gun and sti magazine... Soooo ..any

170 mm and 140 mm magazine fits the gun without any problem... I bought 1 sps magazine to try it

But that damn magazine is a trash... I throw it away.. It gives me a headache...

4. I can put a c more sideways or straight.. But docter is my favorite with Arredondo mount....

5. If you're getting a compensator BRAZOS comp is for major power factor only I need to put 7.3 grain of

Vit 350 and autocomp is 7.3 grain (powder) for the compensator to work.. So what I did is cut the comp

2 holes out and I put 3 holes on top of the barrel..now it works on minor load and I can tame my major

Load to as low as 167 power factor..

6. I made myself a thumb rest because I'm a lefty and colored the gun with cerakote black..

7. The best magwell for me for para is cape magwell from speedshooter...

8. Trigger is an sti made for para.. With cylinder and slide trigger components inside..

9. I have an sti open gun too... But my para is my favorite because I shoot better and faster with Para..

I hope this helps those shooters who wants to convert their para ord into open gun..post-37008-0-60022000-1410593875_thumb.jpost-37008-0-82840800-1410593886_thumb.j

Edited by totoykidlat