Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport Grip Modification

Higgins

Several here have done it and you can find some TS picture threads that discuss it. Dremel, files, and sand paper work to remove the cast Checkering. I 20 LPI checkered my back strap with a file.

I can post pictures later if you can't find them with the search feature.

I removed the factory waffling on my TS. I used a file and varying grits of sandpaper with a hard backer. Didn't have the balls to try checkering it by hand for the first time. I sent it off for Cerakote and use grip tape on the front and back strap.

I removed my factory checkering the same as everyone else file & dremel. I checkered my front & blackstrap in 30lpi, the checkering looks great and feels great but the reality is that grip tape offers just as much grip and goes on in 1 minute. I just did the checkering on mine because I had never see a CZ with checkering on the from strap and wanted the challenge.

An idea popped into my head once which with all my projects I've never made it a priority: drill a small dimple at the intersection of each of the stock waffles, I could start with a sixteenth inch ball end mill, then if that isn't cheese grater enough move to 3/32". I think by the time you got to 1/8" it would be pike a bed of nails :)

Plus if it didn't work out I could always grind it all off.

While grip tape isn't as classy as checkering, it works pretty great.

hmm, I like that idea. would end up kind of like the phoenix trinity alloy/steel/titanium grips in the aggressive pattern. drilled holes so they points line up. good thinking!

Edited by BeerBaron

Does CZ Custom or any other vendor do checkering? I think I want it done professionally and then I may send it off to get it hard chromed.

Thanks,

Higgins

Edited by Higgins

Here's a thread on CZ Forum. You can see Stuarts (CZ Custom) work and I shared my personal experience.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=44860.0

I'm trying to find another thread where a guy did the checkering on the front strap as well. From my experience on the rear strap, it is time consuming and therefore will cost you a lot of money.

Edited by huskerlrrp

EGW offers a checkered front strap insert that can be welded into a pocket milled into the frame. They used to offer a service where they would EDM the pocket into the front strap and weld the insert in place. I had them do it to my Springfield P9 many years ago and was amazed at the quality of the work. I would contact George and see if this is something they still offer if I was still shooting a CZ pattern gun.