Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get Started

Iggy42

So I was looking at the General FAQs and whatnot, but one thing I have not find is a good resource for someone that has never reloaded before.

I would like to be able to load .40 major/minor (USPSA Major and Minor for 3-gun) and 9mm Major (USPSA Open)

Since I am on a budget I really want to avoid as many mistakes as I can to get setup properly the first time. Plus I want to make sure I am using quality brass, power, and what not. I know the individual forums that are caliber specific can help, but I have to admit that looking at everything that is out there and separating the wheat from the chaff is daunting.

If it helps I am eyeballing a Dillon 550 package that Brain has in his store, namely this one, but I am open to other ideas. Especially for the budget minded

Definitely begin with a copy of the 49th Edition Lyman reloading manual. The first 1/4 of the book is devoted to teaching you what to do, why you have to do it, and how to do it. Youtube has lots of videos for support, but rely on the manual.

I'm surprised I'm the first to say this, but it's not a good idea to learn on 40 Major or 9mm Major.

It's not that there aren't established loads for both that our sport generally considers safe. It's that the loads we publish here are pushed pretty close to the edge and leave less forgiveness for newbie mistakes. Better to work through the learning curve on something more middle of the road.

If you decide to press ahead, make sure you read up on avoiding setback and how to detect pressure signs on the primer and case. And for 40 Major start with slower powders of those you see recommended here and accept the slightly greater felt recoil.

Good luck!

I'm surprised I'm the first to say this, but it's not a good idea to learn on 40 Major or 9mm Major.

I was actually thinking the same thing...especially 9mm Major. With .40, and 180gr bullets, there's lots of published data that'll make major...but for 9mm, I'm not sure there's any. Learn to load 9mm minor first, then consider pushing the envelope.

I have been reloading for about a year now and had the same question as you. I took the advice of other forum members and bought the latest Lyman manual. I learned a lot and gave me a starting point to begin to reload. I also ordered the Brian Enos competition basic to advanced reloading dvd and the Dillon 550 DVD. Both provided very useful information.

I would recommend to start with one caliber and learn to reload before you move on to other calibers.

Lastly, you can always search for answers on this forum, if you don't find the answer just ask. There plenty of people that are willing to help.

I think there are 2 main schools of thought.

start with a non progressive press (either a turret press or a 550 - forget a single stage for pistol, waste of time).

jump straight in to the progressives.

a lot depends on your answer to these questions:

how many rounds do you shoot a month?

how many different calibers do you want to load? and what are they (this makes a difference. say 38 super and 9mm, no biggie to change, 9mm to say 45ACP is a hassle).

is there a budget contraint on what you want to spend?

how mechanically minded are you? can you easily look at things and figure out how they work?

if you are a high volume shooter (say more than 500 a month), and you only want to load 9 and 40 or 9 and 38 then jumping straight to a progressive like the 650 would be a good option.

if you're a low volume shooter, but want to load lots of different stuff then a 550 may be a better choice, or if loading say 9mm and 45 ACP then 2 square deals may be a good option.

personally I think if you shoot any kind of volume the 550 is not the best option.

if you really only want to shoot 9mm and 40cal then a 650 will be a good option. both are small pistol primer. both can be loaded using the small pistol case feeder too. this means to swap calibres you don't have to swap case feeder plates or the primer system. you just swap the shell plate and the tool head (get a tool head set-up with the dies and powder drop you need).

I think after some time you may regret spending so much on the 550. it's great for load development. it's great if you want to load rifle. it's great for learning on. but it will always be much slower than a 650 since it can't have a case feeder and the shell plate has to be advanced by hand. buy a 650 with a case feeder to start. then later if you want even more speed add a bullet feeder.

so again, I'd ask myself those questions in the middle and let that guide your buying options.

I think there are 2 main schools of thought.

start with a non progressive press (either a turret press or a 550 - forget a single stage for pistol, waste of time).

jump straight in to the progressives.

a lot depends on your answer to these questions:

how many rounds do you shoot a month?

how many different calibers do you want to load? and what are they (this makes a difference. say 38 super and 9mm, no biggie to change, 9mm to say 45ACP is a hassle).

is there a budget contraint on what you want to spend?

how mechanically minded are you? can you easily look at things and figure out how they work?

if you are a high volume shooter (say more than 500 a month), and you only want to load 9 and 40 or 9 and 38 then jumping straight to a progressive like the 650 would be a good option.

if you're a low volume shooter, but want to load lots of different stuff then a 550 may be a better choice, or if loading say 9mm and 45 ACP then 2 square deals may be a good option.

personally I think if you shoot any kind of volume the 550 is not the best option.

if you really only want to shoot 9mm and 40cal then a 650 will be a good option. both are small pistol primer. both can be loaded using the small pistol case feeder too. this means to swap calibres you don't have to swap case feeder plates or the primer system. you just swap the shell plate and the tool head (get a tool head set-up with the dies and powder drop you need).

I think after some time you may regret spending so much on the 550. it's great for load development. it's great if you want to load rifle. it's great for learning on. but it will always be much slower than a 650 since it can't have a case feeder and the shell plate has to be advanced by hand. buy a 650 with a case feeder to start. then later if you want even more speed add a bullet feeder.

so again, I'd ask myself those questions in the middle and let that guide your buying options.

I respectfully.....totally disagree. I started on a 550 B, still have it (along with two Super 1050's) and still feel that the 550B is the best press I own for lots of reasons. Most of my friends have 650's and while it is probably the best all around auto indexing press in existance, the 550 B can easily load 350 rounds an hour without the operator having to push the envelope. The 550B is very versatile and can load more calibers than any other Dillon press. And on, and on, and on........