Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you shoot?

Wesquire

I just went to my first IDPA match last Saturday and I am planning on going to about two matches per week. I am curious how often you guys compete and/or go to the range. I'm also curious about range time relative to classification.

You'll find in some cases range time directly relates to class, and for others it's invalid.

To answer your poll, are you asking how many matches or matches plus practice?

You'll find in some cases range time directly relates to class, and for others it's invalid.

To answer your poll, are you asking how many matches or matches plus practice?

Either. I guess if I meant matches + practice I should have gone higher than 5 per month though.

I voted 5+. Some type of match every week, practice at least once a week live fire, dry fire 4 days, 1 day off.

My classification directly relates to the level of effort. You won't believe what dry fire will do for you, more than live for most people.

I voted 5+. Some type of match every week, practice at least once a week live fire, dry fire 4 days, 1 day off.

My classification directly relates to the level of effort. You won't believe what dry fire will do for you, more than live for most people.

I'll probably do 2-3 matches per month, dry fire regularly, and live fire practice 1-2 times per month.

I average between practice and matches 2 times a month........I have another hobby that I practice 2 times a week and compete approximately 1 time a month. Not enough hours in the day, week, or month for everything. :yawn:

I average between practice and matches 2 times a month........I have another hobby that I practice 2 times a week and compete approximately 1 time a month. Not enough hours in the day, week, or month for everything. :yawn:

What hobby is that? I try and do the monthly 200&300 yard rifle match.

What hobby is that? I try and do the monthly 200&300 yard rifle match.

My "primary" hobby is Fencing (Olympic Style), which takes up most of my "hobby" time. Shooting sports are my secondary hobby. Generally I practice fencing twice a week and compete in a competition (locally, in state, or regional) once a month on average. In fact the icon at the top left of my post is a medal (bronze) from a regional fencing tournament in New Orleans two years ago.

Back on topic......I only get the opportunity to practice and or compete reference shooting sports about twice a month generally. I try to get more time in when I have a match above local level, such as the NC Sectional Championship coming up this October.

Health and weather permitting, I can get to four regulation IDPA matches a month, plus another if my BPCR match is called off.

There are also two outlaw matches whose procedures don't clash too badly with IDPA.

I am only getting one live fire practice a week this year, but I have a dryfire target set at the long end of my shop.

Sounds like a lot, but that is my only sport. I don't fence or fish or golf or tailgate.

I shoot less in the summer months. Regularly I can get 4-5 matches a month. I don't have a membership to a range that would allow the type of live fire practice I need, so the local matches also double as practice. Also get about 2-3 major matches a year.