Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Joining the Club - New 550B owner

Tonight I was poking around on the Dillon web site comparing prices between a SDB setup for 9 and 40 versus a 550B setup for the same. Given that I already have dies for 9 and 40 the 550 with extra primer tubes, spare parts and caliber conversion kit was only $20 something more than the SDB. I said to Mrs. Jones that the next time we had $550 to spend that I wanted to buy a Dillon press. My expected response was her typical eye roll but instead she replied with "I get paid this week so go ahead and order it". After she woke me up with smelling salts after I fainted (just kidding) I immediately ordered it. Of course then I remembered Brain sells them. Oh well too late. I had to order before she realized what she had said. This will be my 3rd Dillon. I originally started with a SDB and then upgraded to 650 with case feeder. I sold it all when I got out of shooting and now that I'm active again it's time to unbolt the single stage press and bolt on a Dillon.

Congrats man, i just ordered a 650. FYI I am in Greenville.

Thanks. Greenville is a very nice part of the state. We travel up that way to hike to and photograph waterfalls.

It will sure beat the hell out of loading on a single stage and now you can load e3 without going through all the trouble you had with the Lee.

Amen! That was what did it. I spent all afternoon out in the garage measuring out 3.5 grains of e3 for some 9mm loads. I was out there at least 3 hours if not more. My total load count was 175 rounds :(.

Sometimes my wife surprises me as well! I know the feeling. Congrats.

It's rare that it happens. I should probably mark it on the calendar or something :).

Good deal! Sounds like you have a great wife that supports your endeavors.

She's a keeper for sure. She puts up with me and my hobbies, why, I have no idea.

I too have one of the good wives. Neuropathy of the hands make it difficult to load cases and bullets on my SDB. My wife was watching the loading debacle one evening and asked whether there was a machine that didn't require all the dexterity. I showed her the Dillon 550B and case feeder and then the Mr Bullet Feeder mini. She said Happy Birthday to you! Got it all set up and running this past weekend. Gotta make a range run to check everything works in my 45's and go forth and load. Wives are funny that way.........

yup .... I got a good one too :)

I just bought a used 550 myself a month or so ago. It sure beats the old rock chucker. My wife wasn't quite like yours but she does like that I can spend less time loading than I had before.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a keeper wife. She would see the headache and grumbling I would have with the RED machine and asked what else was out there? last night I ran rounds through the Dillon 650. I too let her run a few rounds through it while I visited the water closet. she said "thats easy" blue kook-aid taste good!