Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 9mm Major for Glock

Maximis228

I am looking to get some loads made up for a SJC Glock 17 with an 11 Port Comp. After speaking with Steave over at SJC, they suggest I use WSF powder. I havent been able to find any, so I am looking to see what other people use.

Looking to load either 115's or 124's. I have Titegroup (For Minor Only), AA7, and Longshot on hand currently. I know AA7 wont really work, but has anyone used Longshot before?

Anyone ever use longshot to make major?

I have, but just barely. 8.4gr under a 115gr Xtreme @ 1.150" made 165pf in my 5.1" CZ barrel. I haven't done extensive testing with Longshot, so I can't tell you exactly where it happens, but it reaches a point where it's maxed out and velocity starts to go down as you add more powder. I suspect the same will happen with AA#7.

It might be easier to make major with 124s, but they likely won't shoot as flat.

I am looking to get some loads made up for a SJC Glock 17 with an 11 Port Comp. After speaking with Steave over at SJC, they suggest I use WSF powder. I havent been able to find any, so I am looking to see what other people use.

Looking to load either 115's or 124's. I have Titegroup (For Minor Only), AA7, and Longshot on hand currently. I know AA7 wont really work, but has anyone used Longshot before?

The WSF with the 124 should not be a problem just give a good crimp. I've been playing around with CFE pistol with std 9mm with 115TMJ and the load is very close to what I use WSF, CFE in my 5in colt converted 45acp 5.6 grains I get 1165 to 1170 mixed O/F nickel brass, I was using 5.4 to 5.5 WSF for 1140 to 1160 area. I have in the past made Major using WSF with 124 gr bullets in my 38 super comp gun, it shot so soft. But beware heat causes WSF to lose vel so a 170 PF might not make it at the chrono stage. I did a little test with the CFE in 9MM 115gr had the brass in the sun, saw no diff when chronoed, more testing to be done using a digital temp guage to verify results. I don't shoot 9 major yet but plan to as the TJ super brass is too expensive to lose a lot, I have 1000's of O/F 9+P brass to use. Been shooting IPSC since the late 80's so been there, saw that and done that but alwalys room to learn more.

• 2 weeks later...

Maximis, I have a Carver G-17 with SJC Comp and KKM barrel & all the other SJC Mounts and Goodies. I have been using Auto Comp(which is becoming more widely available)7.0grs under a 124gr MG CMJ, WIN SMP orWin SMP Magnum Primers seated at an OAL of 1.155. Don't go past 1.155 due to the Glock Mags. I made Major easily with 6.8 grs but bumped up to 7.0grs to keep functionality.I would stay with the proven powder and bullet combinations for OPEN GLOCK RACEGUNS.They're sometimes fussy with what you feed them and I personally wouldn't go to a 115gr tip because of the amount of powder you'll need to make them fly.It's easier and safer to make Major with the 124's. Longshot and TiteGroup aren't for Compensated Glock Raceguns, the new CFE powder looks to have some promise. I just read an Article in Handguns Magazine about it and if I can find the link I'll post it. I also shoot an STI Tru-Bor 9mm Major and those loads are different than the ones for my G-17 Open.