Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upside down brass feed dillion 650

Check and make sure your case feeder is mounted solid. Sometimes if the feeder wobbles and shakes it can cause the case to flip when it is just falling into the funnel on the feeder.

The problem is generally caused by the casefeeder shaking during the reloading process. First, is the 650 mounted on a sturdy, heavy bench so the machine doesn't shake? Next, try to anchor the casefeed bowl to a wall or cabinet behind it. I drilled a hole in the bowl and used a 1/4"x20 bolt and a wingnut. The other end of the bracket is attached to the side of a cabinet above my bench. This should take care of the problem.

Pat

Shaking causes most, if not all, problems with the case feeders. And it doesn't have to be much. Mine was mounted to the press and my 9mm was flipping upside down like crazy. I also dismounted it from the press and mounted it directly to the bench and wall. Has not flipped a case since.

I had lots of trouble with primers flipping, and to a lesser extent cases in the case feeder, with my 650.

1. bolting the bench to the wall

and

2. lubing the cases (even straight walled pistol cases) a bit, to reduce the force put into the press required to resize

fixed both problems

Edited by johnmac

Run the feeder on "low" you won't be able to outrun it and have a bench solid enough the bowl doesn't move while your loading.

This probably is the solution. Over the last month, I've just been doing development loads (100 or less per batch with different powders and loads). All of it has been 9mm and I must of had 15 upside down cartridges last week in 5 different batches. I'm pretty sure it was on HIGH (Because I always have hit the Hi Rocker).

I need to check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.