Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

That C-more is mouted above the barrel.

dpeters8445

I figured that I would post this since I did it twice now.

2004 handgun nationals, I am finishing the last stage of an array shooting at some targets about 20 yards away. I finish, unload and show clear, holster, look up and there are two holes in the head of a no shoot a little more than arms legth away.

Sh$t, how the heck did I do that I ask myselve.

Today, I shoot an array through a small port, move on, and finish the stage. The Ro tells me I shot a hole in the barricade when I was shooting through the small port. How the heck did I do that I asked myself.

I figured it out. The C-more is mounted above the barrel and just because my C-more dot is on the target I intend to shoot, the barrel of my gun was in the first case, right in front of the no shoot, and in the 2nd case right in front of the barricade.

That is something we all deal with when shooting open. You have to know where you gun hits at all distances. When shooting close tight shots I always hold at the top edge of the head and the rounds end up in the top a zone. I would like to actually see a trajectory of a 38 super out of a 1911 barrel. I figure if I zero in at 25 yards then i will hit low from muzzle to 25 yards and then high after that by the same amount to 50 yards. But there may be a flaw in my logic since the trajectory may be different. i have been told the 38 super has a very flat shooting trajectory. If you zero at 10 yards then at farther targets you will be way too high. But at point blank range you will always be low by the distance from the bore to the dot.

I ahve done what you did many times. Just be sure to be aware of this when engaging close targets that are tight shots.

I finish, unload and show clear, holster, look up and there are two holes in the head of a no shoot a little more than arms legth away.

Only two??? :lol:

Three targets at about 15yds... one no-shoot positioned sideways at arms length... three pairs of holes neatly spread across the upper edge of the no-shoot... = -60 points!

ouch.

;)

But at point blank range you will always be low by the distance from the bore to the dot.

Well, yes and no. "Point Blank" is a term that is frequently misued (especially by the media). Actually the point blank range of any gun is the maximum distance out to which the shooter can hold on a target zone and be assured of a hit within that zone. It is a measure of how flat a gun will shoot. A reference to trajectory.

Here's more information.

But I digress... I've been there, done that. Now I shoot at the top of the target when in that close. It took me a few times to get that ingrained in the brain. :unsure:

-Chet

At my club there was a period where a couple of our regular stage designers would get evil, and set up shooting positions where the shots had to go between the slats of wooden shipping pallets. One pallet might have the slats vertical - no problemo. The next, though, would have the slats horizontal - bingo: instant splintered wood and careening bullets. The smart open shooters held their guns horizontal, using the weak hand to grab the tube of the dot sight for stability. They still had to compensate for the rotation of the bore and the different trajectory relative to the sight, but at least they were reasonably sure of hitting the target, not the wood. It got harder once C-Mores became popular (no tubes to grab) and sorta faded away.

Guest Larry Cazes

When I was doing load development for my first 38super open gun with a Cmore, I shot the top of my chronograph this way. 124gr JHPs moving at 1400 fps can make quite a mess! :( Now I make sure to hold high across the screens.

When I was doing load development for my first 38super open gun with a Cmore, I shot the top of my chronograph this way....

That I can understand. What I don't understand is how some people still manage to shoot their chronos even with iron sights on. :P

When I was doing load development for my first 38super open gun with a Cmore, I shot the top of my chronograph this way....

That I can understand. What I don't understand is how some people still manage to shoot their chronos even with iron sights on. :P

Don't laugh...if seen it happen very often...even the chrono drivers at matches who should know how not to....

The sight bore alignment has bitten me a few times also. The worst was when I was shooting around a vision barrier that was constructed using plywood on a 1/8" angle iron framework. The fault lines made the shot difficult so I had to cant my gun sideways around the edge of the plywood. Well the dot was on the target, but the 2 bullets went into the angle iron.

All I saw was what appeared to be a slightly bigger than normal muzzle blast. No holes in the target, but with the distance and the muzzle blast I didn't notice while I was shooting. Upon later inspection, both bullets (115s at almost 1500) had hit the angle close to its edge and dented but did not pentrate it. They simply exploded. No shrapnell back at me even thought he muzzle was only 2" from the steel. Probably saved by the plywood.

I don't do that anymore!

• 5 weeks later...

I think this has happened to anyone who has shot a open rig....I switched from a limited rig to a open rig this past summer...Well,the first match there was a plywood barrier with a square cut in it with three poppers about 10yrds behind. Well you got it I put two through plywood then relized I was dot on, muzzle into the wood!!!! You should have seen the RO jump it freeked me out...Then the razzing started :blink: