Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 grip problem

billdozer

I've had this 2011 for a year now, bought it used. I started getting hammer follow. So I checked the sear, hammer hooks, etc. Everything was good. I figured out that the slot in the grip where the sear spring goes into had wollowed out enough to allow the spring to slip under the sear occasionally. I raised the hole and filled with epoxy. Problem solved. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have the same problem. Can you post a pic of the mods you made.

I tried the dawson sear spring that supposed to be wider, but that didn't help. I push up on my grip safety and I think it is flexing the plastic grip and mainspring housing. I have had the issue with all 3 of my 2011 since I have changed how hard I grip with my strong hand

Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes, at 2014 Cowtown Classic. The sear spring slipped down and would not push the sear into the hammer hooks.

A squadmate had a spare SVI sear spring that helped me finish the match. Further shooting after the match resulted in some more of the same. Along with the hole enlarged, the grip was also cracked at the bottom of the slot allowing even the longer sear spring to hang up.

Since this is my competition pistol, I replaced the grip. Problem solved.

Bill

The width doesn't matter as much, it's the length. The sear leaf needs to be further up on the sear. I don't have pics because I don't wanna take it back apart.Lol

Basically, the hole in the bottom of the frame where the sear spring goes through and into the magwell needs raised up. I filed it about .050 higher and filled the gap on bottom with a cut up credit card, and epoxy. Make sure and coat your sear spring with a release agent(car wax, Pam, pretty much anything) so it doesn't glue in place.

I might try the tape wrap or peen the left side of the spring to keep it from moving. Mine isn't a height problem, the problem is the sear spring drifts to the left

ETA

I tried epoxy. But it didn't hold. I peened a dawson spring, which helped some, then I added 2 pasters sick took up must of the room and kept the spring from shifting. Hopefully this resolved the issue

Edited by Supermoto

I have done thousands of grip mods over the years, but the metal grips are the way to go. Plastic wears out. I hate to cut my own throat, but that is how it is. Metal won't wear like the plastic and PT has options on the grip weights (Stainless,Ti,or Aluminium). SV makes a small angle cut on their steel grips that really helps the spring to stay in place.

Tommy Roupe

Happened to me yesterday at the Ryan Rocks Charity match. I'm going to either peen or wrap the sear spring to keep it where it needs to be.

Of course, the new blaster in build now has a PT aggressive stainless grip on it. :devil: