Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Curtis,

Glad to hear Winchester is handling the replacements. I know you said you were going to use a Caspian slide as a replacement but if you use Infinity slides and have a similar experience in the future you could just replace the breechface and keep shooting.

Lee

I was able to trace my problems to one lot of WLP and didn't realize what was going on until it had advanced quite a bit…because competition pistol shooters can go through a lot of ammo in a hurry and don't necessarily clean and inspect after every range trip or match. For the records, I had thousands of Winchester primers of maybe five different lots, obtained during the last Great Primer Shortage or from a recent trade when I sold my .40 Limited gun and exchanged components with the buyer.

Now you know what to be looking for if it starts to occur in your pistol, no matter which primers you use, which is the real value of this thread IMO.

:cheers:

Curtis

Curtis,

Glad to hear Winchester is handling the replacements. I know you said you were going to use a Caspian slide as a replacement but if you use Infinity slides and have a similar experience in the future you could just replace the breechface and keep shooting.

Lee

That is a real advantage for the Infinity slides, for sure, Lee.

Winchester compensated me fairly for the value of repairs, which put us even on the value of the pistols to where I was before I ran into the bad primers, and I released them from any further obligation on the issue with my pistols. Right now, I'm planning on continuing to shoot the Baer as is…much like myself as I approach my geezerhood, my breech face and I may not be pretty but we can still get the job done when we have too :roflol: .

Curtis

Do you have pics of the primmers that caused this

I didn't photograph them before I turned them over to Winchester, but another Enos thread has a good picture of exactly what they look like: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137924

On a few of my samples, the crack ended in a tiny pinhole on the edge of the primer face.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

• 1 month later...

How old were those primers? I probably have close to 10K in the closet dating back to 2007.

Hard to tell exactly. Some I probably bought maybe three to five years ago—some I received as part of a trade. But I am pretty sure that they were only the lot #/#s mentioned earlier in the thread.

The problems were not caused by all the Winchester primers, only the particular lot numbers mentioned. I'd check your the lot numbers on your primers…and it never hurts to be aware of the potential problem so you can catch it early.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide