Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland / CR Speed Compatibility

rmcdave

I have a Safariland 011 and 771 magholders on a CR belt. The belt is just slightly wider than the Safariland belt. The gear will still fit on and, due to the increased withth, fit very tightly. I'm pretty happy with this setup.

I just bought a CR belt to go with my 012. I love the belt. I love the holster. As far as working together, looks like Safariland has their velcro backwards to the CR belt and lets the holster slide around axially. I am thinking about disconnecting the velcro and reversing it. Anybody else had this problem? And a solution?

Marv

Yes CR and Safariland have opposite Velcro (I like the CR style better). The CR belt is a bit bigger than the Safariland belt, so be careful tightening down your mag pouches-- I had one 771 crack across the top of the belt loop not long ago.

As a temporary velcro fix, I made some 'gender-changer' velcro pieces by sticking two pieces of self-stick hook to each other, then attaching that to the Safariland holster.

Safarilands Velcro has been that way on competition gear since I have been shooting in 93. I wouldnt say they have it backwards since they were here long before CR Speed. The Levitation belt has the velcro switched.

I sell both belts but use safariland becasue I like the hooks for security. The CR will work with most stuff but due to the bigger size I had several customers tell me they cant get their Limcat Holster on the CR without dremeling the Holster loop holes a little bigger.

Safarilands Velcro has been that way on competition gear since I have been shooting in 93. I wouldnt say they have it backwards since they were here long before CR Speed. The Levitation belt has the velcro switched.

I know... just joshin'. ;) It is a little odd, though. Why they haven't done it on their regular belts though the duty and Levitation stuff is setup that way is beyond me.

I sell both belts but use safariland becasue I like the hooks for security. The CR will work with most stuff but due to the bigger size I had several customers tell me they cant get their Limcat Holster on the CR without dremeling the Holster loop holes a little bigger.

Bah... they just need to cowboy up! :P I had to work at it, but the holster fit on the belt nicely... and was VERY secure. ;)

100_1363.jpg

I decided to get the CR Speed belt when my old Safariland competition belt became worn out. I'm using the old Safariland 011 model and mag pouches with the CR Speed belt for my P16-40 and Para LDA. I placed stick-on velcro strips on the holster's and mag pouches' back to stick to the CR Speed's inner belt.

I just switched from a Safariland belt to a CR, using 771's and an 012. I LOVE how tight the pouches fit the belt, but the fit between the 012 and the belt is completed unacceptable for match use.

The 012's belt loop is approx 1 3/4" wide while the belt is 1 1/2" wide; that 1/4" of slop is significant. I'm gonna try the velcro thing mentioned above, but so far I'm not a happy camper.

If something fits loose on a CR belt, just velcro the snot out of it. My CR Speed holster hanger has hook velcro on the back to stick to the inner belt and loop velcro on the inside of the belt loop(!) to stick to the outer belt.

The Safariland hanger has so much surface area, this strategy has got to work.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to this thread, I decided to experiment a little on my 012 to make it compatible with the CR belt. I found the velcro can be easily unsewn and reversed and then resewn using the existing holes and a #3 or#5 crochet hook to resew the velcros. I have one side almost done and the other should only take about a 1/2 hour. Very firm. I will probably add a little industrial contact cement to the other side for safety. Just don't contaminate the surfaces and the velcro can be reused. I also purchased some industrial strength velco. Thread is just regular leather stitching thread (I found a similar thread in the floss section at Jo-Anns fabrics, along with the velcro).

Now I can dump those bulky spacers!

As a follow up to this thread, I decided to experiment a little on my 012 to make it compatible with the CR belt. I found the velcro can be easily unsewn and reversed and then resewn using the existing holes and a #3 or#5 crochet hook to resew the velcros. I have one side almost done and the other should only take about a 1/2 hour. Very firm. I will probably add a little industrial contact cement to the other side for safety. Just don't contaminate the surfaces and the velcro can be reused. I also purchased some industrial strength velco. Thread is just regular leather stitching thread (I found a similar thread in the floss section at Jo-Anns fabrics, along with the velcro).

Now I can dump those bulky spacers!

Thanks! Very timely info because I was going to do something this Friday to stitch the vecro on the 012; I tried gluing it but that wasn't lasting.

As a follow up to this thread, I decided to experiment a little on my 012 to make it compatible with the CR belt. I found the velcro can be easily unsewn and reversed and then resewn using the existing holes and a #3 or#5 crochet hook to resew the velcros.

Darn, now where did I put that #5 crochet hook? :P

I reversed the velco on my holster and after useing it several time

went ahead and pop-rivet it to the outer belt. That way it will stay put.

You can still adjust the outer belt to the inner one and the hoster will

not move..

Gene

• 6 months later...
Does anyone here have any first hand experience using a Safariland 012 holster and 771 mag pouches with a CR Speed belt?  If so, how is the fit?  Any modifications necessary?  Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I am using basically that exact setup. The only thing I had to do was order some velcro pieces from Safariland to put between the holster and the belt to "reverse" the velcro.

Adam