Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Division Frame Modification Question

Chuck D

D5 22 prohibits drilling holes for the purposes of lightening the slide.

•Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling

deemed to provide a competitive advantage.
So I would say it is dependent on the RM as to whether he will judge those holes as slide lightening. I myself would not judge them as an attempt to lighten the slide but as an incidental means of making a gun that is competitive in both Bullseye and USPSA SS division.

D5 22 prohibits drilling holes for the purposes of lightening the slide.

•Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling

deemed to provide a competitive advantage.
So I would say it is dependent on the RM as to whether he will judge those holes as slide lightening. I myself would not judge them as an attempt to lighten the slide but as an incidental means of making a gun that is competitive in both Bullseye and USPSA SS division.

The holes are in the frame! No rule against that!

I have a 1911 from 1984 that has seen all the available mod's including drilling for scope mount. I asked John Amidon about it and he said it was good to go, and was happy to see one put back into service. The drilling of holes and lightening of the slide to gain an advantage I believe, so if a slide had been drilled and tapped for a sight it should still be ok.

Removing mass from the slide makes the slide cycle faster, hence a competitive advantage.

A few screw holes in the frame might make the gun lighter, but that's not a competitive advantage
Let's face it, people will mill out the back side of their grips to shave some weight and be legal in Single Stack. Nobody ever says it's cheating.

if a slide had been drilled and tapped for a sight it should still be ok.

Does the sight that is actually used during the match have to correspond with the amount of work done? For example if I milled, drilled, and tapped a 1911 for a Leupold Delta Point for plinking, but remove the the red dot sight for USPSA matches, (eg. fall back to the original notch and post), would the gun be considered legal for Single Stack? Or does the 6.2.5 kick in and it'll be at the discretion of the Range Master?

if a slide had been drilled and tapped for a sight it should still be ok.

Does the sight that is actually used during the match have to correspond with the amount of work done? For example if I milled, drilled, and tapped a 1911 for a Leupold Delta Point for plinking, but remove the the red dot sight for USPSA matches, (eg. fall back to the original notch and post), would the gun be considered legal for Single Stack? Or does the 6.2.5 kick in and it'll be at the discretion of the Range Master?

D5 says:

Milling of the slide to insert sights, add or remove serrations, such as cocking or flat topping, tri-topping the slide, lowering ejection ports, cuts that are minor and cosmetic in nature are permitted.

Duplicating features that are on a factory, mass produced slide available to the general public is permitted. Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, or slots, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited.

I would think that the RM of the match would have final say, but I can't see that it would be prohibited, as long as iron sights are re-installed and used in competition.

Edited by Parallax3D

I had a gun built with Hi-power cuts on the slide. To be on the safe side I took pictures and sent them to Amidon. He emailed back that I was good to go. Made a copy of the email and I stow it in my range bag.

At the nationals this year I saw 1911's with everything but "lighting holes or slots" in them and every body shot with them. Keep it looking like a 1911 and your fine. starts looking like a limited or open gun and you'll most likely have problems.