Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you clean lead out of your comp?

igolfat8

After shooting apply a few drops of Marvel Mystery oil or Kroil oil ( http://www.kanolabs.com )

It will creep between the lead and copper. Next time shooting it will blow out. Be careful if you have a lot of build up! Its surprising how it releases from the comp.

I've switched over to coated lead bullets for practice (due to both cost and range requirements). I'll give this a try.

Thanks.

Bill

Hydrogen peroxide/vinegar mix(aka the dip) will eat the aluminum. Suppressor guys know this very well.

And steel too if left in too long. I've got a comp out in the shop with a couple extra holes in it.

You know, at the bottom of the chambers where the metal was kind of thin.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I soaked the comp in white vinegar over night and it didn't harm the aluminum nor did it remove any fouled lead build up. I have tried scrubbing with a copper brush and ChoreBoy with Hoppe's #9 solvent and brake cleaner and neither worked. I will try the Marvel oil.

I am not sure how one would do this "Teflon tape around the comp holes and clean the barell and comp together with an outers foul out. ". Please explain in more detail how you wrap teflon tape around a hole? Or do you mean to wrap teflon tape around the entire comp, blocking all the holes closed with tape?

JHP bullets. Problem solved.

Coated/lead/fmj bullets make such a mess out of a comp so quickly, that I just cant imagine using them regularly.

Seems like getting rid of that headache would be worth the few extra doll hairs.

It would be nice to shoot FMJ or JHP on a regular basis (if I had deep pockets) but as much as I have been shooting lately its more cost effective (for me) to cast my own boolits. Less than a penny a piece ;)

I soaked the comp in white vinegar over night and it didn't harm the aluminum nor did it remove any fouled lead build up. I have tried scrubbing with a copper brush and ChoreBoy with Hoppe's #9 solvent and brake cleaner and neither worked. I will try the Marvel oil.

I am not sure how one would do this "Teflon tape around the comp holes and clean the barell and comp together with an outers foul out. ". Please explain in more detail how you wrap teflon tape around a hole? Or do you mean to wrap teflon tape around the entire comp, blocking all the holes closed with tape?

Yes. Wrap plumbers/Teflon tape around the entire comp and plug the chamber as normal. Fill with the outers solution all the way up into the comp. it will come out like mud. Make sure to degrease the rod. By far the best and easiest way.