Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do your Speed loader/Moon Clip Holders AN UPDATE

Round_Gun_Shooter

From Page 34:

Speedloader/Full Moon Clip carrier must:

A. Be designed for concealed carry and suitable for all day continuous wear.

B. Be worn on a standard belt of no more than 1 ¾” width that must pass through the belt loops on the shooter’s pants.

C. Have either a snap/Velcro cover or a tension device that will positively lock the speedloader/full moon clip in the carrier.

D. Require a releasing action to remove the speedloader/full moon clip from the carrier.

E. Hold a loaded speedloader/full moon clip securely in the carrier.

F. Cover the full diameter of the speedloader/full moon clip but not hold the speedloader/full moon clip by only a few of the cartridges.

Now, here is a Shoot the Moon Holder

49861.jpg

Meets A, Meets B, Meets C with tension device, Meets D-requires pull, E makes it

F needs a clarification. Don't think it makes it. Does not cover full diameter

Common Speed loader holder:

SpeedLoadersml.jpg

Same comments as above.

saf-340s.jpg

This one seems to make it on all counts.

Last is the type I have for my SL Variant and is also common for CompIII Safariland.

Loader fits into open top carrier. Meets A, Meets B, Meets C as tension device, D requires pulling action, and E is met as it covers the full "Diameter" As pointed out to me today by BONES, it states "Diameter" It does not state Circumference.

If anyone has a picture of the "Bears Den" holder from one of the finest leather men I dealt with, please post. (Bear, god rest his soul, would be arguing this one I am sure)

So, who can show me what I need to have to be legal.

Is it this?

DS-A35.jpg

Try operating those snaps when they are behind your holster.

Full diameter would be from one side to the other. Circumference would be around the outside of the circle. I think everything you showed is legal. At least it will be if I am SO. B)

Bill Nesbitt

Thanks Bill,

If I am the SO, all the holders I posted would be allowed. I just hope everyone thinks the way we do ;)

Gary

My thought is they all meet all criterea. I have no insight into how it will be interpreted.

I don't get hung up on the word "device". From my perspective as a simple mind if you take the holder off the belt with the moonclip/speedloader in it, turn it over and shake it, the moonclip/speedloader should not fall out. If that is the result, and barring the intervention of some supernatural force, some device must be holding it in. With that established, it follows that some releasing action is required to remove from the holder.

I don't believe a tow strap. storm flap, load binder or safety chain are required, just that some force other than gravity retain the speedloader/moonclip.

I carry Kydex versions of the steel clip "shoot-the-moon" holders you showed routinely with my Comp II K-frame speedloaders (and Surefire Z2) and have never had an issue on the street, in the car or in IDPA competition.

Regards,

Bones

PS: all RGS made SS in ESR yesterday.

F. Cover the full diameter of the speedloader/full moon clip but not hold the speedloader/full moon clip by only a few of the cartridges.

As Bill said, diameter and circumference are very different.

Here is a picture of the type of carrier I think item F was specifically targeting. This one is by Blade-Tech. As you can see it does not support the full diameter of the moon clip (it only supports one side) and the clip is only held by a couple cartridges.

multimedia_4752_1076001235276.jpg

I also think that the new rules will prohibit hanging moon clips off your front pocket, or hanging two moon clips off one Shoot the Moon carrier since this creates the same kind of setup as pictured above.

Just my totally unofficial opinion.

-Vincent

What's so "gamey" about the Blade-Tech setup? Looks like the most practical, "streetable" setup for carrying moonclips out there. That's why I bought a couple of them. Of course, my gun and the holster I ordered last week for it are IDPA illegal now too, so I guess the moonclip holder thing doesn't matter. Oh well... Outlaw racing, Outlaw biker clubs... I may belong to one of many new Outlaw IDPA clubs.... actually I like the sound or that...

Dan Overcast

I just checked with IDPA HQ about Safariland CD-2 SL carriers. They say that since the design is intended for competition only (one can assume they may have checked with Safariland about this) it is illegal. Since several designs of SL or moon clip carriers follow the same lines, one can assume they're illegal as well. They did say, however, that the other revolver rules were going to be worked on and changed soon- which probably means before the S&W Winter Nats. Doesn't matter for me though- the CD-2 prohibition knocks out my last full legal rig. What's Ironic is that I've never used anything but CD-2's for concealed carry. Oh well, no IDPA for me for awhile.

dcloudy wrote: "Of course, my gun and the holster I ordered last week for it are IDPA illegal now too, so I guess the moonclip holder thing doesn't matter."

If you are talking about the S&W 625 & 610, then you are currently correct. Both guns are banned by IDPA. As to what might happen or what rules IDPA might choose to pass in the future, I have given up trying to predict those.

I will believe it when I see it happen. Until then, I'll be shooting my 625 in other competitive sports.

UPDATE: there seem to be some who feel the 625 meets the weight requirements while others are finding it does not. Will have to "weight" & see.

I can't use my Ted Blocker heavy wire clips anymore, but I have a couple of old Bianchi open top dual SL pouches that have a tension screw between the SLs, just like a mag pouch. I need to start practicing with them.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I have found what I consider the easiest way to modify the Shoot the Moon holder to IDPA rule book legal.

I added a post rather than modifying an already well made carrier. I used a piece of clear plastic 1/4 " Outside diameter tubing. It fits snug in the center hole and properly cut to length it works.

Total cost was 40cents to take care of 7 holders and I have tubing left over.

Regards,

clever boy....

Now try a band of loosely fitting shock cord strategically placed over the forward lip of your speedloaders in your open top Safariland-type speedloader holders and you're good to go.

clever boy....

Now try a band of loosely fitting shock cord strategically placed over the forward lip of your speedloaders in your open top Safariland-type speedloader holders and you're good to go.

Will it pass the upside down test? I still think if I shoot SSR I will reload from my pocket.

Regards,

As Bill said, diameter and circumference are very different.

Here is a picture of the type of carrier I think item F was specifically targeting. This one is by Blade-Tech. As you can see it does not support the full diameter of the moon clip (it only supports one side) and the clip is only held by a couple cartridges.

multimedia_4752_1076001235276.jpg

I also think that the new rules will prohibit hanging moon clips off your front pocket, or hanging two moon clips off one Shoot the Moon carrier since this creates the same kind of setup as pictured above.

Just my totally unofficial opinion.

-Vincent

"holding by two" also applies to use the shoot the moon using only the front part of the clip to improve speed by hanging the cartridges by two on the front side only.

RGS,

I installed the shock cord strap yesterday and tried the following tests on the holder/loaded speedloader assembly:

1) inverted it and shook it vigoroursly

2) bounced it off the couch seat cushions 4 or 5 times

3) dropped it from waist hieght (~3') onto a tile floor

4) rolled it about 25' across a hardwood floor from a standing position

It passed all tests.

It does not slow my speedloader retrieval.

Total cost $0.75 in 1/8 shock cord. Assembly time - about 15 minutes. Tools required - Leatherman.

Craig