Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best tablet for recreation?

So I carry a big laptop (win 7) for work that covers my life really well. Have an android phone which is fine. I am looking for something in between, for travel and sitting around the house. Movies, music, websites and email is all it would be used for.

Not a huge fan of apple so Ipad low on list, but not off. Looking for input on android or surface tablets and what you guys think.

Thanks for the opinions.

That's just like asking the people of this forum to recommend a gun. There are too many tablets to choose from and the one that works best for me may not fit your needs. You'd be better off beginning your search for the perfect tablet at your nearest electronics store.

The newer Nexus 7 are nice and affordable.

They are just about due for a technical refresh and the rumor is they will go to an 8 inch model which should be called the Nexus 8. It's expected to start shipping sometime in July although it hasn't been formally announced yet.

I have replaced my laptop with an ASUS transformer. It is droid based.

Droid is more open and easier to use - removable media options, shows up as a true hard drive when connected to a computer, etc but is less secure.

IOS based devices - IPAD = no removable media, everything needs to go through Itunes, no micro usb port, but is more secure.

I have both ASUS transformer and an IPAD issued for work. I love the ASUS, I tolerate the IPAD.

Since you're already used to an android phone, I'd say stay with android on a tablet. Google Nexus 7 (or 8). They provide a pure vanilla version of android without any samsung/whoever additional utilities or other bloatware.

A lot depends on whether you want a 7" or 10" tablet.

If you are a member of Amazon Prime (or want to be) then you might want to consider a Kindle Fire. They do have their limitations when it comes to apps but they have a lot to offer as well and many reviews put them well above the Nexus. If not then I tend to agree with Bill that a Nexus is a reasonable choice.

I have an ASUS Transformer T100 (Win 8) that I am experimenting with to see how far I can push it. I'm making some progress but it's such a change from what I am used to with Win 7 (and before) that's it's taking some time to wrap my head around it and stop making stupid assumptions about how to do things. If you are considering any kind of Windows tablet, have a look at the thread I started on the ASUS for some cautions.

I have an older Fire and a Nexus 7

Nexus 7 hands down.. but maybe they've improved the speed, etc on the Fire. Some of the apps (if they're even available) - run differently on the Fire, and not for the better

I bought a small wallet/case for the Nexus, came with a blue tooth keyboard for < $25, and you can have a Bluetooth mouse too..

Thank you for the input. After some basic research, have decided an android os makes the most sense for me.

For those running a 7" screen, how is movie viewing? Now to decide between 7, 8 or 10" and which brand to zero in on.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the input. After some basic research, have decided an android os makes the most sense for me.

For those running a 7" screen, how is movie viewing? Now to decide between 7, 8 or 10" and which brand to zero in on.

Thanks again.

It's pleasant watching movies on any of those provided they have good resolution and you are talking about airplane distances for viewing. Chromecast is a nice and cheap addition for anyone who consumes media on Android devices as well. I had a first generation 10 inch tablet and but found myself favoring the 7 inch for all casual use once I got one of those. part of teh reason is that the 7 inch was so much lighter and easy to hold it just made for a more comfortable overall experience. The next iteration of the Nexus tablets will likely have a larger screen without increasing the overall size of the device as the bezels have been increasingly smaller. My 4.5 inch phone got very little use at the time however I have been using a Samsung Note 3 as a "phone" lately and with a 5.7 inch screen web browsing is good enough that I don't reach for any of the tablets anymore unless I am going to watch a movie or play a non-casual game.

If I were you I would wait a month or two and get a Nexus 8. The Nexus line usually showcases some very good hardware at a very good price and as wgnoyes said it runs the latest versions of the pure Android operating systems that have not been slowed down or screwed up by other OEMs putting their interface overtop of it.

Stay away from the Kindle Fire. I have and older one and my daughter and sis in law both have the Fire HD. Nothing but trouble with chargers and Amazon says thats not a warranty issue.

Mine is next to impossible to get it to charge. Have to position the cord just so and battery lasts 2 hours at best with WiFi off and brightness all the way down with black background.

The HD's will not stay on unless plugged in. Both are leas than 1 year old.

I have had several friends who like Windows who used the MS Surface and were happy. Im an Apple guy, love my Ipad.

Nothing compares to an iPad. Simply the best screen and interface in the business. You need an Apple computer to go with it, however, to make it the most useful and fun. So get an Android or Windows based, they are all good. Try sitting in a chair or lying in bed with it reading if you're at Walmart or something. Because that's where you will end up using it the most. And don't get one with a sim card unless that's what you really must have. Those are usually meant for business-it just does not work as a cell phone. Get it to work in WiFi only and get a really good wireless for home. They don't function exactly like laptops, so some websites and things like airline reservations don't go super smooth, but that is the exception. Good luck.

I swore for years that a tablet was a useless device -- it was too big to always be with you, like a smart phone, and not powerful enough to be truly useful as a laptop might be.....

Then I tried a Kindle Fire -- and that convinced me even more that I was right. Price kept me from buying an iPad.......

A little more than three years ago, we got iPhones -- and they worked pretty well to keep us out of the tablet arena.

Then I started wishing for a little more screen real estate, and Apple released the iPad mini. I got one about 18 months ago, and have barely touched my laptop since. It's the right size -- easy to hold, effortless to use, and it just works.......

If I were forced to choose, I'd pick the iPad over having a laptop. (I've always used a desktop computer in my home office, so it's not as if I'd be computer less.)

• 4 weeks later...