Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tristar P-120

Does anyone here own one of these or played around with one? They appear to be a CZ SP-01 clone for around $400 to your door.

Would be mainly for IDPA ESP, maybe a lil Limited Minor in USPSA.

Caniks are very well built google the reviews, I think the new ones are not imported by tristar anymore but rather a company in newyork. Buds gun shop has a few of the new ones...

Caniks are very well built google the reviews, I think the new ones are not imported by tristar anymore but rather a company in newyork. Buds gun shop has a few of the new ones...

Century arms is importing their version of a compact SP-01,

I just bought a tristar p120 from buds about a month ago and the frame says Tristar on it in large letters and right under it that it says canik in smaller letters.

I put the CGW sights on it and a CGW modified CZ85 trigger with the over travel screw in it. The reset isn't as short as my shadow with the CZC short reset trigger but its still reasonably short now that I got rid of all the over travel with the set screw. Probably cut reset travel in half. I also replaced the main spring, trigger return spring,the recoil spring, and polished the internals. This thing is a good shooting gun now. The grip circumference is closer to that of a 3rd gen Glock then it is to an actual CZ. It could really use a CZ oversized mag release and they do have mag brakes in them. I also modified a CZ75b extended firing pin to make it work. Overall I like the gun, and it has never malfunctioned yet. (only about 500 rounds through it)

Edited by bigfish

Thats interesting I got two different Caniks from buds and they both say R.OX.NJ Canik 55 made in turkey. Odd but I guess it really doesnt matter, I sold the one that was a cz 75 copy because their not on the production list I then turned the Shark model into an open gun using all cz parts, The sao trigger is fantastic.

Edited by Rick88

Thanks Guys

I'm still trying to decide on the next purchase. Currently shooting a basically stock XD in Production / SSP, kinda want to play in another division. So was thinking XD40 Tactical for ESP/L10, Revolver IDPA SSR only, budget 1911 for Single Stack/CDP or a one of these Tristars for ESP/Limited Minor.

First purchase though is a Dillon machine (upgrading from Lee Turret). If I go 550 over 650 I can get something much sooner. Shoot about 1k a month I think the 650 will be over kill and I'm on a budget.

Edited by JohnnyD

First purchase though is a Dillon machine (upgrading from Lee Turret). If I go 550 over 650 I can get something much sooner. Shoot about 1k a month I think the 650 will be over kill and I'm on a budget.

Get the 650!!! sell a gun if you have to, but you won't regret it. I started loading on a friend's 550 and recently bought a 650 and LOVE IT! I was loading 120-150 rounds per hour on the 550, the other night I loaded 300 rounds in 40 including setup and tear down; there's no comparison.

Yes, the TriStars are a fantastic value! I have a T120 I've done some work on which is very impressive, I still plan to fit a short reset disco and do more polishing, but the DA is 7# and some change :), SA ~2.5#.

DAmn...That is a nice tigger.

Does anyone know if the Tristar P-120 would be IDPA legal...I didn't think about the full length dust cover till I was thumbing through the rules yesterday.

I know there is the SSP to ESP ruling that can be used for some prohibited features but the 2000 a year production numbers would be hard to prove either way. I know in a club match it prolly wouldn't be questioned but I probably will shoot at least one level 2 match next year.

Dave at cgw has directed me to the lpa trt sights for my tristar p120. I was just curious if these will extend past the back of the slide or sit flush (after the machine work). Has anyone put these sights on a tristar yet? If so, please provide some pictures and/or tips for installation. Just fyi I do have experience running machine equipment and have many competent machinist at work.

• 1 month later...

Just bought this Canik 55 Shark FC..$345 at the gun show. I also have two of the TriStar T-120's at $329 ea from Academy Sports....IMO, these are some dang good guns for the $$. My oldest T-120 has 1200+ rds with no FTF FTE issues.

10609504_686131174795841_216779162185741

Edited by Quackhead

upgrading from Lee Turret.

I was loading 120-150 rounds per hour on the 550, the other night I loaded 300 rounds in 40 including setup and tear down; there's no comparison.

I thought you could load 400 rounds/hour on the 550?? I load 250 on my SDB!!!