Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO replacement

Putty

I thought this one worth having another look at... The funny thing about this is I don't think there are many if any who would go out of their way to ding someone, but the knowledge equation is a real factor. This is true for club level stuff esp.

The deal of an RO making you nervous... I had this one RO who just made me a wreck at the line, but this was when I was a new shooter and didn't know the rules. It was nothing the guy did, and I have a good relationship with him, but for some unknown reason I just got more nervous when he was running me. Having gained some experience I would not ask for a different RO unless I felt they couldn't be fair. (I don't think this of any ROs I know) Here's how I look at it... if a person makes you nervous, or there is tension there, that's a great training tool. If you ever get in a spot where you are turning in a peak performance, there will be plenty of pressure, esp if you are going for a win. After I finally started to settle down with this guy running me, I found that I really didn't get the bad shakes like I did before that. I still get keyed, but this guy who made me sooo damn nervous toughened me to a point where I don't give a damn if the guy with the Kilt is behind me, that is as long as I don't have to squat for any low ports. :P) This club level stress was higher or equal to a major, so when I started going to them I was not that crazy nervous. I say get the guy that makes you the most nervous or the guy you just don't like and let them RO you. You shouldn't be thinking about anything, but your shooting anyway... use it as a tool to go into game mode and block that shit out.

If I walk up to the line, or am thinking, "I don't want John to run me because we "have issues," then my mind is so far from where it should be it probably doesn't matter who runs me at that point. A bunch of what we do is handling pressure, and if I can't deal with that, then how am I ever going to function in a big match going for a class win or a match overall?

I'm not saying not to ask if you must, but I have to wonder if your head is in the right place if you must ask.

This isn't meant to be argumentative, but informative.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Is this something that has to be formally done, or can the score keeper grab the timer and the ro take the score sheet, or is it something that has to go up the food chain to be official. Cuz I don't think I want an ro with a skirt running me. lol j/k

Is this something that has to be formally done, or can the score keeper grab the timer and the ro take the score sheet, or is it something that has to go up the food chain to be official. Cuz I don't think I want an ro with a skirt running me. lol j/k

I don't know where this is specified in the book PK.... My guess is you would have to get an RM involved, if the CRO didn't want to budge. Otherwise, there is no reason they couldn't just swap duties.

Edited by JThompson

So..... Anders requested that I RO him at a match last fall,

instead of someone else. I think it played havok with my

mind, trying to think about if I was being too consistent with the

start signal, if I was fair, if I was screwing up, etc.

Screwed with my mind pretty good for a while. Then I find this

thread and realize it is all him!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Is this something that has to be formally done, or can the score keeper grab the timer and the ro take the score sheet, or is it something that has to go up the food chain to be official.

I don't know that it has to formally 'go up the food chain' but it certainly depends on the response you get. A few years ago at Area 4 I had a competitor come up to the line and say 'I thought about requesting another RO, but I guess you'll do'. I responded with 'I'll get you another RO if that makes you more comfortable (I was the CRO)' and he again repeated 'no, you'll do'. I ran the competitor, no issues... but to tell the truth, the fact that he would even mention that he was thinking about requesting another RO made me wonder if I shouldn't have just granted his wish, and then there would have been absolutely no possible issues... ;)

Bottom line, all joking aside, you can and should ask for a replacement RO if for some reason you have a problem with the one running the competitors. It doesn't mean that you think the RO will cheat: it just means that you have some interpersonal problems with him/her, and you'd like another person to run you.

I disagree. If the shooter says that he has "interpersonal problems", then he basically says, and asks for the replacement because he thinks, that the RO, due to the "interpersonal problems", would treat him differently as would treat others. That's cheating - treating anybody differently just because of the interpersonal problems, that's cheating.

On the other hand, the shooter might say that "I have interpersonal problems with X. The problem is, if he is the RO when I shoot, I became a bit tense and nervous. I cannot concentrate on shooting. Please, replace him when I shoot." Most RMs would accept this reasoning.

Yet, I don't know any rule which would force the RM to accept any reasoning. The decision is upon him alone - no rule will help him. That's just not obligatory, and if he says "no", the shooter has no ground to protest.

Complete horse pocky...

I've asked of a different RO multiple times and never once from fear the person would cheat me. Reasons stem from the knowing the RO may very well have a heart attack trying to keep up with my blinding speed on a long run (just kidding, kinda, but I'm not stopping the shooting to give CPR), inability to use proper range commands (big huge reason), RO typically follows too close (respect my space man), RO's on deck and refuses to give themselves the time to prepare to shoot... None of these are about cheating.

Second, there is a huge difference between someone making a wrong call from ignorance vs intentional. It's called motive. As said before arbitrate the call, but be damn careful about throwing out "he's cheating me on purpose" without some proof. I have met one person in three years of shooting the would even attempt something like cheating another shooter.

I ask the RO to hand the timer off before I ask the RM. It's the first level and the request should start there. I have NEVER been told no, and never seen anyone else say no when asked... Why would you? If I was an RM or MD and had an RO refuse this request, I'd be pissed at the RO not the shooter.

I've also handed off the timer to another RO knowing the shooter was uncomfortable with me for whatever reason. I don't take it personal, and prefer to avoid affecting the other shooter if at all possible.

OK, this might go sideways but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. I have a tendency to try to take over RO duties if the main RO is using the incorrect commands. I have tried pointing this out before to RO's doing this and it never ends well if done during the match. After the match maybe, but it's just easier to take the timer and do it right during the match.

There was a time when I wanted to ask for a different RO...back when I was really serious about the game. Now all I ask is for a 1-3 second delay from the last command...legal command or not, and someone that knows the bullet only has to touch (not break) the next higher scoring ring.

We have a pretty simple system for arbitration locally. If the shooter feels like they got screwed they look the RO right in the eye, shrug their shoulders and calmly state, "What the hell?" The RO then replies, "Got more ammo? Go fill your magazines."

Edited by Ron Ankeny