Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO replacement

Putty

Sure you can If it's a local match (with attached ROs) you could check to see who's ROing a particular squad before signing up on that squad. We're all not bad some of us are worse:D :P

Edited by John Baier

You think anybody around here is going to RO you after lighting off that tactical nuke in your Benny blaster a couple of weeks ago?

Why you want to be wearing a bomb squad suit when you RO Anders:

AndersGun.jpg

:lol:

Shooter Grrl:

Thou art the proclaimer of truth and wisdom. For shame Mr. Baier...Thy CRO Credentials are in much question!!! :P We actually had a situation at a high level match where there was a conflict of interest, and the RM actually ran the shooter. It has been done, and can be done. If you feel there is a problem, contact the RM (or MD if a local match), and they will assist you. Matches should be about measuring your skills, not personality conflicts.

John:

Maybe a "remedial" RO training class is in order??? We'll look into it. :P

Sandoz - I may have miss spoke concerning RO replacement. Sorry but it was a late night with maybe one to many tequilas. :unsure:

Shooter girl - I cower in your greatness, please forgive me your antagonistic tone scared me I think I may have wet myself :huh::D:D

Barrettone - I hate you :P

Disclaimer: This post is not to be construed to either blickering or whining

You think anybody around here is going to RO you after lighting off that tactical nuke in your Benny blaster a couple of weeks ago?

Why you want to be wearing a bomb squad suit when you RO Anders:

:lol:

Oh, your so going to get it for that one... :ph34r:

Im gonna take that big dumb brown range bag of yours and, and .....DOH!

YES you can request a new RO.

Actually, as far as I see, you can request a new RO, but that's just a possibility, and not your right. The RM will or will not accept that request.

Requesting a new RO is basically saying that "hey, you have an RO who cheats".

Anders, that is what appeal/arbitration is for. Yes, you can appeal/arbitrate even at the local level.

Often, however, local clubs don't have a clue as to how to actually carry out an appeal/arbitration...but it is all laid out in the rule book in Chapter 11. Go read that section and be familiar with it before the next match.

ROs are human and will make mistakes now and then. Heaven knows I have made a couple but I also have tried very hard to learn from them.

The use of "casual" ROs (as in not using certified ROs that have been through an RO course and have current certification) tends to increase these sorts of problems as does the total lack of "real" stage descriptions. A stage diagram is NOT a complete stage description! :angry:

Here is a hint: to figure out if someone is a certified RO just look up their USPSA classification online. If they don't have a USPSA # then they are in no way certified (membership is required to be certified). Many clubs will post the USPSA #s in their results.

If this is occurring at the club I think it is occuring at talk to the MD (Bill or Mark usually) beforehand and ask to be squadded with someone other than the person you don't wish to be RO'd by.

If I happen to be that RO (don't think so but just in case) then come chat with me and we can work through it. :)

DVC,

Kevin

The least a shooter can do is to call the RM to the stage to answer some silly question of another (or run a shooter).

Those poor RM's have to sit around on those ATV or golf carts all day long...they probably like getting out of the "ATV office".

Okay. If your (male) RO is wearing a skirt, you can most definitely ask for a replacement. If he's wearing a kilt, well, that's a different story. :lol:

Bottom line, all joking aside, you can and should ask for a replacement RO if for some reason you have a problem with the one running the competitors. It doesn't mean that you think the RO will cheat: it just means that you have some interpersonal problems with him/her, and you'd like another person to run you.

As the RO, should someone ask for a different range officer, try not to take it personally--just hand over the timer and let someone else take care of business.

This is one of the hardest things to get across in a level one seminar--the person who ends up with this scenario usually takes the IBDB (I Be Da Boss) approach, and basically tells the shooter to deal with it. Not the right approach, but it's kind of funny at times.

Troy

Bottom line, all joking aside, you can and should ask for a replacement RO if for some reason you have a problem with the one running the competitors. It doesn't mean that you think the RO will cheat: it just means that you have some interpersonal problems with him/her, and you'd like another person to run you.

I disagree. If the shooter says that he has "interpersonal problems", then he basically says, and asks for the replacement because he thinks, that the RO, due to the "interpersonal problems", would treat him differently as would treat others. That's cheating - treating anybody differently just because of the interpersonal problems, that's cheating.

On the other hand, the shooter might say that "I have interpersonal problems with X. The problem is, if he is the RO when I shoot, I became a bit tense and nervous. I cannot concentrate on shooting. Please, replace him when I shoot." Most RMs would accept this reasoning.

Yet, I don't know any rule which would force the RM to accept any reasoning. The decision is upon him alone - no rule will help him. That's just not obligatory, and if he says "no", the shooter has no ground to protest.

I disagree. If the shooter says that he has "interpersonal problems", then he basically says, and asks for the replacement because he thinks, that the RO, due to the "interpersonal problems", would treat him differently as would treat others. That's cheating - treating anybody differently just because of the interpersonal problems, that's cheating.

On the other hand, the shooter might say that "I have interpersonal problems with X. The problem is, if he is the RO when I shoot, I became a bit tense and nervous. I cannot concentrate on shooting. Please, replace him when I shoot." Most RMs would accept this reasoning.

Yet, I don't know any rule which would force the RM to accept any reasoning. The decision is upon him alone - no rule will help him. That's just not obligatory, and if he says "no", the shooter has no ground to protest.

I guess we'll just have to disagree, Ivan, although I really don't see the difference in what I said and what you said. As you say, "interpersonal problems" can mean a lot of things. But, if I'm RM, and a competitor asks for a replacement RO, I'll do my best to accomodate that person, because 1) it's the right thing to do, and 2) it helps maintain a level playing field. I don't need a detailed explanation, either.

Troy