Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uh oh cracked sv steel grip

Jasonub

Yup weird place for it to crack. There are no dents whatsoever. It was never dropped.

Was surprised when I was cleaning it last night for a quick match the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already emailed Brandon and was referred to the local dealer.

Ill drop by their shop this week or next depending on my work schedule.

I almost had it tig welded but was advised against it till the local guys take a look at it.

I was given a quote of about $225 for the replacement of the trigger guard by the local dealer.

I had a cracked para slide and Sti slide replaced free of charge awhile back.

Oh well I guess I'll have this welded.

The thing is, I haven't even brought my unit to the local dealer yet.

Seems like para and Sti have better CS.

It's an old pistol with the plastic grips. I bought a steel grip and had it installed.

Local build in the Philippines

I suspect that there is a fitting issue that contributed to the forces on the trigger guard not being square. I suspect that even after you weld it that it will crack again in a similar place if the fitting issue is not resolved.

Let us know what happens.

I had a para frame tig welded where the slide stop notch enters.

It cracked around 20k rounds. After tig welding the area I shot another 20t or so and the area has not cracked again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

had it tig welded. and built up. the material there is ultra thin and lots of volume shooters here with sv also break their grips and have the screws welded on those grips (personally know 3 of my club mates who broke theirs and had it welded)

When i cracked an sti and a para slide a few years ago. They sent me a new one without questions. I still love my pistol but makes you think twice. Im having a new one made but this time ill be getting an sti frame and slide or the new CK when it arrives in our country. Id still use the sv hammer group trigger and rear sight, tungsten rod, but the others ill go with egw to date have not broke any of their parts

Here is what i broke with the volume i shoot. 1 sv ambi(replaced it with a bar stock egw), 2 sv rear sights(loosened the suckers), 1 sv grip, 1 sv hammer (old one square) cracked an sv frame at about 150t (welded it and it never had any issues in the area anymore) keep on loosening a breech face (even with loctite. I now make it a regular thing to check after 1000 rounds or about 1-2 weeks worth of shooting), 2 sv sear springs(keep on loosing that damn bearing same with the trigger) when i lost the third i let it be.

everything breaks more so if you use it a lot but I did not believe my peers that the grip will break and not at this round count. But so far there are no options unless i have one custom made(lots of smiths here make one but look is so so but durability is way up there, They use a one piece bar stock grip and cut it incorporating the trigger guard. No 2 pc grip here) . The sti grips made of aluminium have terrible history of breakages thus ill pass.

rant off

Edited by Jasonub

had it tig welded. and built up. the material there is ultra thin and lots of volume shooters here with sv also break their grips and have the screws welded on those grips (personally know 3 of my club mates who broke theirs and had it welded)

When i cracked an sti and a para slide a few years ago. They sent me a new one without questions. I still love my pistol but makes you think twice. Im having a new one made but this time ill be getting an sti frame and slide or the new CK when it arrives in our country. Id still use the sv hammer group trigger and rear sight, tungsten rod, but the others ill go with egw to date have not broke any of their parts

Here is what i broke with the volume i shoot. 1 sv ambi(replaced it with a bar stock egw), 2 sv rear sights(loosened the suckers), 1 sv grip, 1 sv hammer (old one square) cracked an sv frame at about 150t (welded it and it never had any issues in the area anymore) keep on loosening a breech face (even with loctite. I now make it a regular thing to check after 1000 rounds or about 1-2 weeks worth of shooting), 2 sv sear springs(keep on loosing that damn bearing same with the trigger) when i lost the third i let it be.

everything breaks more so if you use it a lot but I did not believe my peers that the grip will break and not at this round count. But so far there are no options unless i have one custom made(lots of smiths here make one but look is so so but durability is way up there, They use a one piece bar stock grip and cut it incorporating the trigger guard. No 2 pc grip here) . The sti grips made of aluminium have terrible history of breakages thus ill pass.

rant off

Jason, your story is simply not the norm. Unfortunately, I think it is related to your country and it's importation regulations. We don't see those issues here....period